The Quick Access Toolbar or QAT is the only toolbar available in PowerPoint. This toolbar can be customized and can contain your most-used commands so that they are accessible to you with just a single click. We already explored how you can change the location of the QAT in our Quick Access Toolbar in PowerPoint 2016 tutorial.
There are two ways in which you can add your favorite commands to the QAT. The easier way is to right-click any button on the Ribbon tabs, and choose the Add to Quick Access Toolbar option, as shown highlighted in red with Figure 1.
Figure 1: Add any command to the QAT with a right-click
Alternatively, follow these steps to customize the QAT in PowerPoint 2016 by adding your frequently used commands. This process is longer, but shows you all commands available in PowerPoint, including some that are not available on Ribbon tabs:
- Choose the File menu to bring up Backstage view, as shown in Figure 2. Now, select Options (highlighted in blue within Figure 2).
Figure 2: Options within File menu
- Alternatively, just right-click anywhere over your QAT or Ribbon and from the resultant menu, select the Customize Quick Access Toolbar option, as shown in Figure 1, earlier on this page.
- Either way, this opens the PowerPoint Options dialog box, as shown in Figure 3. Make sure you choose the Quick Access Toolbar option within the sidebar. This shows the relevant options on the right side of the PowerPoint Options dialog box (see Figure 3 again).
Figure 3: PowerPoint Options dialog box
- All the options for customizing the QAT are explained below, as marked in Figure 3, above:
- Here you will select the commands which you want to add to the QAT. Click to open the drop-down list and choose the category of commands that you want to work with. This will display a list of commands within that category in the section below. From this section, select the particular command which you want to add to QAT.
- Here you will choose whether you want to customize the QAT for all documents, or only for the current presentation. As you can see in Figure 3, For all documents is the default option selected. Existing commands already added to the QAT will be displayed in the section below.
- These buttons are used to add commands from the Choose commands from (see point A above) list, or remove commands from the Customize Quick Access Toolbar (see point B above) list.
- These arrow buttons allow you to reorder the sequence of icons visible on the QAT.
- Sets your QAT to its defaults, and removes all customizations made. We explain this more in our Reset, Import, and Export QAT Customizations tutorial.
- Lets you export and import your customizations, learn more in our Reset, Import, and Export QAT Customizations tutorial.
- Add the commands you use often - for this tutorial we have added Copy, Open, and Paste commands within the Customize Quick Access Toolbar list, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Commands added to the QAT
- Note that you can also change the order in which these commands show in the QAT. To reorder, select a command that you want to change the order for. Then click either the Up or Down buttons, highlighted in blue within Figure 4, above. Once done adding, editing, reordering, or removing the commands, click the OK button to get back to the PowerPoint interface. You'll see the new or updated commands available on the QAT, as shown in Figure 5, below.
Figure 5: New commands added to the QAT
- Tip: Each command you add to the QAT has its own keyboard shortcut. To view these shortcuts, just press the Alt key and each QAT command will show an overlaid tool tip with a number, as shown in Figure 6, below. If the number reads 6, then the keyboard shortcut for that command is Alt+6. Similarly, if the number reads 9, then the keyboard shortcut for that command is Alt+9. You'll need to be quick with pressing your keys if you have a double digit shortcut key!
Figure 6: QAT shortcuts shown in tool tip
A. Choose commands from
B. Customize Quick Access Toolbar
C. Add and Remove buttons
D. Arrange Commands
F. Import / Export