The Quick Access Toolbar or QAT is the only toolbar available in PowerPoint. This toolbar can be customized and can contain your most-used commands so that they are accessible to you with just a single click. Follow these steps to customize the QAT in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac by adding your frequently used commands.
- Click the down-arrow in the QAT (highlighted in orange) within Figure 1, and choose the More Commands option, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: More Commands option
- Alternatively, choose the PowerPoint | Preferences menu option as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: PowerPoint | Preferences menu option
- This opens the PowerPoint Preferences dialog box, as shown in Figure 3. Within this dialog box, select the Ribbon & Toolbar option (highlighted in red within Figure 3).
Figure 3: Ribbon & Toolbar option
- Either way, this opens the Quick Access Toolbar tab within the Ribbon & Toolbar dialog box, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: Quick Access Toolbar customize options
- All the options for customizing the QAT are explained below, as marked in Figure 4, above:
- Here you will select the commands which you want to add to the QAT. Click to open the drop-down list and choose the category of commands that you want to work with. This will display a list of commands within that category in the section below. From this section, select the particular command which you want to add to QAT.
- Here you will find existing commands in the QAT, and any new commands that you add to the QAT.
- These buttons are used to add commands from the Choose commands from (see point A above) list, or remove commands from the Customize Quick Access Toolbar (see point B above) list.
- Click to open a menu as shown in Figure 5. Here, you can opt to reset customizations made for the QAT or all other customizations including those made for the Ribbon.
Figure 5: Options to reset the QAT or Ribbon & Toolbar
- Add the commands you use often. For this tutorial we have added 4 new commands to the Customize Quick Access Toolbar list, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 6.
Figure 6: Commands added to the Customize Quick Access Toolbar list
- Note that you can also change the order in which these commands show in the QAT. To reorder, select a command that you want to change the order for. Then drag it either either up or down, as it is mentioned in the dialog box (highlighted in green within Figure 6, above).
- Once done adding, editing, reordering, or removing commands, click the OK button to get back to the PowerPoint interface. You'll see new or updated commands available on the QAT, as shown in Figure 7, below (highlighted in orange).
Figure 7: New commands added to the QAT
A. Choose commands from
B. Customize Quick Access Toolbar
C. Add and Remove buttons
Customize Quick Access Toolbar in PowerPoint 365 for Windows
Customize Quick Access Toolbar in PowerPoint 365 for Mac
Customize Quick Access Toolbar in PowerPoint 2019 for Windows
Customize Quick Access Toolbar in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Customize Quick Access Toolbar in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Customize Quick Access Toolbar in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows