When launched, PowerPoint 365 for Windows typically opens with Backstage View. If you are already working on an open presentation, and want to create a new presentation at that point, you can do so using the New tab.
PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts
Do you want more keyboard shortcuts?
Explore our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences Ebook that is updated for all PowerPoint versions.
Follow these steps to explore options with the New tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 365 for Windows:
- Launch PowerPoint 365 for Windows and open an existing presentation.
- Click the File menu, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1.
Figure 1: File menu
- This action opens Backstage View. Select the New tab as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: New tab selected within Backstage view
- Options within the New tab are explained below, as marked in Figure 2, above:
- Here you'll find templates and Themes that you have used recently, or have pinned. You can also bring up a clean slide using the Blank Presentation option. Click the Show More option (highlighted in red within Figure 2, above) to bring up more templates and Themes.
- You can pin any template or Theme within the New area by hovering over the thumbnail preview until you see the Pin icon, as shown in Figure 3, below. Now click this Pin icon to see the template or Theme within the New area permanently until you unpin.
Figure 3: Pin template or Theme
- Here, within the Office tab, you'll find templates and Themes installed as part of Microsoft Office.
- The Custom tab (and you may see more than one Custom tab) shows a list of templates and Themes created by the active user, or placed by your system administrator in a designated folder. It can also include your custom made themes and templates. If you haven’t created or placed any custom templates or Themes, you will not see this list.
- Here just enter any keyword(s) and click the Search button to search for Online templates and Themes. You can see the results in another window, as shown in Figure 4. Click on any of the thumbnails to open a new presentation based on the template.
Figure 4: Search result
- Here you'll find some suggested searches based on keywords and categories. These include Presentations, Theme, Education, Charts, Diagrams, Business, and Infographics. Just click on any of these keywords to get relevant results
B. Office Tab
C. Custom Tabs
E. Suggested Searches
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 365 for Mac
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2019 for Windows
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows