Although PowerPoint 2003 and earlier versions don't have a specific Effects category like PowerPoint 2007 and newer versions, they do have two effects. These are shadows and 3D. In this tutorial, we'll cover the 3-D styles. Unlike shadows, 3-D styles only work with AutoShapes. This leaves out pictures but you can always use a rectangle AutoShape with a picture fill to mimic a picture with a 3D style.
To see a sample presentation containing 3-D Styles in PowerPoint 2003 for Windows, scroll down to the bottom of this page.
Follow these steps to apply a 3-D Style effect to an AutoShape:
- Select the AutoShape that you want to apply a 3-D Style effect to. Alternatively, if you just want to follow this tutorial step-by-step, launch PowerPoint. Most of the time, PowerPoint will open with a new slide in a presentation. Users can change the Slide Layout to Blank by selecting Format | Slide Layout, and then choose the Blank layout option in the resultant Task Pane.
- You will find the rectangle AutoShape option in the Drawing toolbar located below the PowerPoint interface. Select this option, and click once on the blank slide to place a rectangle AutoShape.
- Select the AutoShape, and from PowerPoint's Drawing toolbar, click the 3-D Style icon, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: 3-D Style icon in the Drawing toolbar
- This opens the 3-D style flyout menu, as you can see in Figure 2.
Figure 2: 3-D style flyout menu
- There are three options in the 3-D style flyout menu:
- Use this option to remove applied 3-D styles from a selected AutoShape.
- There are 20 ready to use 3-D styles available in PowerPoint. Figure 4, below, shows a sample of some default 3-D styles applied to a square. Click on any of these 3-D styles to apply to the selected AutoShape.
Figure 3: Sample 3-D styles
- Choose this option to customize the shadow you have applied. Learn more.
- Save your presentation often.
A. No 3-D
B. Default 3-D Styles
C. 3-D Settings
Click below to view on SlideShare
Shape Effects: 3-D Rotation Options for Shapes (Glossary Page)
3-D Rotation Options for Shapes in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
3-D Rotation Options for Shapes in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
3-D Rotation Options for Shapes in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
3-D Rotation Options for Shapes in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows
3-D Rotation Options for Shapes in PowerPoint 2007 for Windows