You have a secret slide with useful information that you do not want to delete. But you don’t want to show it to your audience inadvertently! What do you do? The solution is easy: you just hide the slide. Hidden slides don’t show up in Slide Show view, but they are still available to edit and to possibly unhide when you are ready to show that slide to the world.
Follow these steps to hide and unhide your slides in PowerPoint 2010:
- Open your presentation that contains slides you want to hide. To make the hiding process easier, view the slides in Slide Sorter view, as shown in Figure 1, below.
Figure 1: Slide Sorter view
- Next, you need to select the slides that you want to hide. To select a single slide, just click on it. To select multiple, non-contiguous slides, select the first one, and then press the Ctrl key as you click on other slides. To select contiguous slides, select your first slide, and then press the Shift key and click on the last slide you want to select—you will end up selecting all slides in between.
- Whatever selection options you choose, you will end up with a selection of one or more slides, as can be seen in Figure 2, below.
Figure 2: Select your slides
- Now carefully right-click on any selected slide to bring up a contextual menu, as shown in Figure 3, below. Choose the Hide Slide option, highlighted in red within Figure 3.
Figure 3: Right-click and hide slides
- You can also access the Slide Show tab of the Ribbon, and click the Hide Slide button, highlighted in red within Figure 4, below.
Figure 4: Hide slides with a click
You are not necessarily restricted to Slide Sorter view to hide or unhide slides. You can also right-click the slides within the Slides Pane, and select the Hide Slide option within the right-click menu (highlighted in red within Figure 5), or even use the Hide Slide button on the Slide Show tab of the Ribbon.
Figure 5: Hide slides from the Slides Pane
Do note that all hidden slides have diagonally strikes over the slide number in the Slides pane, and also in Slide Sorter view (highlighted in red within Figure 6).
Figure 6: Diagonal strikes indicate a hidden slide