Insert Video from OneDrive in PowerPoint 2013
Learn how to insert video using OneDrive in PowerPoint 2013.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2013
OS: Windows 7, 8, and 10
Our next option within the Insert Online Video series is inserting video from OneDrive (previously known as SkyDrive). OneDrive is an online service which allows you to store files online – it also allows you to work on Microsoft Office web applications such as PowerPoint Online, where you can create and edit presentations. Remember that you will have to first sign in with your Microsoft account. Learn more in our Sign In to a OneDrive Account tutorial.
Follow these steps to learn how to use the OneDrive option to insert a video within PowerPoint 2013:
- Access the Insert tab of the
Ribbon, and click the
Video button (highlighted in red within
Figure 1). And from the resultant drop-down menu choose Online Video option
(highlighted in blue within Figure 1).
Figure 1: Online Video option
- This will bring up the Insert Video dialog box, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Insert Video dialog box
- Within the Insert Video dialog box, click the Browse hyperlink as shown
highlighted in red within Figure 2, above.
- This opens the next window in Insert Video dialog box, here you can see uploaded individual
videos or video folders. Figure 3 shows a folder with video file(s) as shown highlighted in
red. The result is based on where you have uploaded the video files in OneDrive.
Figure 3: Window showing folder containing video file(s) within OneDrive
- Open this folder to see all the video(s) it contains, as shown in Figure 4. By default,
there may be no video files in your OneDrive folder -- you will have to first upload them so that you can insert
them later within PowerPoint.
Figure 4: Video within OneDrive account
Options within the window are explained below, as marked in Figure 4 above.
- Back to Sites: Click this option to get back to the Insert Video dialog
box refer to Figure 2, shown earlier in this page.
- OneDrive Folder: Here you can see the folder name that's currently active.
- Folder Content: Here you can see all the videos within the folder of your
OneDrive account. If there are many videos, you can use the scroll bar to move the thumbnails
up and down. If there are no videos, that means you haven't uploaded any videos to OneDrive yet.
- Video Info: Here you can see the name of the video you select.
- Selected Items: Here you can see the number of videos you have selected.
Hover your cursor over a particular video to see a magnifying glass icon, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 5.
Figure 5: Magnifying glass icon appears over the video preview
Click the icon to preview a larger video, as shown in Figure 6. Use the navigation buttons to Play/Pause, control the volume and even preview in a larger view.
Figure 6: Larger preview of the video
- Back to Sites: Click this option to get back to the Insert Video dialog box refer to Figure 2, shown earlier in this page.
- Select one or more videos. Then click the Insert button highlighted in
red within Figure 6, above
- The selected video(s) will be downloaded and inserted within your slide, as shown in
Figure 7: Video inserted on the slide
- Make sure to save your presentation.
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.