Thermometer Add-in for PowerPoint
OS: Windows and Mac
Product/Version: PowerPoint 2003 and PowerPoint 2004
Last Updated: September 7th 2009
Thermometer for PowerPoint (current version: 1.1) is a free add-in that creates a thermometer style bar in the bottom area of the slide that shows how much of a presentation has progressed and how much more is remaining.
It's a very simple add-in and using it is so easy: one click on an icon and you can add or update your thermometer; another click and the thermometer is gone!
The add-in installs a toolbar inside PowerPoint with four icons.
- The first icon adds or updates the thermometer in the active presentation.
- The second icon removes the thermometer in the active presentation.
- The third icon resets the Thermometer toolbar within PowerPoint - this makes the toolbar inaccessible for the remaining part of your PowerPoint session. Thermometer loads normally the next time you launch PowerPoint.
- The fourth icon shows you the "About Thermometer" dialog box.
How do I install the add-in?
Download the setup routine for the add-in. It will create a Thermometer group in your Windows Start menu with details on how you can initiate the add-in within PowerPoint.
How do I change the color of my thermometer?
All thermometers are based on the active color scheme in your presentation. It is formed with a gradient between your fill and background colors. To change the color of the thermometer, you'll have to change the color scheme.
Where can I Download the add-in?
Here (400 kb) ... (works with PowerPoint 97 through 2003 for Windows)
Does this add-in work on the Mac?
It does! You can just copy the PPA file and follow the instructions to install it within PowerPoint. I haven't tested it extensively on the Mac though. Here's a link to the PPA file (StuffIt archive - 18 kb)...
And here's a screenshot of the Thermometer toolbar from PowerPoint:mac 2004.
If You Cannot Install the Add-in
If you cannot install the add-in into PowerPoint, you probably have your Macro Security settings set to High or Very High. You will need to set the Security level to Medium. Once the add-in is installed, you can change the Security level back to High or Very High.
- Within PowerPoint, choose Tools | Macros | Security. In the security level tab, check Medium. Click OK.
- Now load the add-in - choose Tools | Add-ins to bring up the add-ins window.
- Click on Add to bring up the 'Add New PowerPoint Add-in' dialog box.
- Navigate to the folder where the add-in was installed and select 'Thermometer.ppa' and click OK.
- If you are prompted with the macro virus warning, enable the macros. When the add-in is properly loaded, it will display a tick against the add-in name.
- You have now successfully initiated the add-in into PowerPoint.
- Once the add-in has been loaded, it is recommended that you set the Security level back to High or Very High
I wish to thank Steve Rindsberg of PPTools fame who helped me create this add-in. This would have certainly not been possible without his assistance.
Microsoft and the Office logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.