All the sites created by Xara Web Designer MX Premium are W3C compliant, cross-browser compatible (IE 6+, Firefox, Safari, Chrome) and XHTML, CSS standards-based.
Xara Web Designer MX Premium is from Xara, a company based in Gaddesden Place, UK. Other than Web Designer MX Premium, Xara also creates other graphic software such as Xara Designer Pro 7, Xara Picture Editor, Xara Xtreme 5 Pro, Xara 3D Maker 7, etc. You can learn more about their products and download a trial version of Xara Web Designer MX Premium from their site.
My contact for this review was Nova Fisher. Thank you, Nova.
Using Xara Web Designer MX Premium
Download the installer, run the setup routine, and follow the instructions. When installed, follow these steps:
- Access your Windows Start menu and choose All Programs | Xara | Xara Web Designer MX Premium. This opens the Xara Web Designer MX Premium interface with a blank document, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Xara Web Designer MX Premium interface
- Now, access the File menu and choose the New from Designs gallery option (see Figure 2).
Figure 2: New from Designs gallery option to be selected
- This opens the Designs gallery task pane (highlighted in red in Figure 3). Within this task pane, you can view all the web templates.
Figure 3:Designs gallery
- Just double-click on any folder within the Designs gallery to open a sub-folder or to select the web template, as shown in Figure 4, below.
Figure 4: Web template selected within the Designs gallery
- Once a web template is selected, double click to open it. Figure 5, shows the selected web template opened within the Xara Web Designer MX Premium interface.
Figure 5: Web template opened within the Xara Web Designer MX Premium interface
- Now, you can edit individual graphics, buttons, NavBars, headings, text boxes, speech bubbles, etc. If you don't find a template of your requirement, use the drawing tools and create your own graphics from scratch, and add them to the page being created in Web Designer.
- When done with designing your web template, check your design in the browser preview and publish your website by accessing the File menu and choosing the Publish website option in it. If you don't have a web host, you can use the free web hosting offer included with Web Designer from MAGIX.
Pricing and Support
Xara Web Designer MX Premium costs USD 99.99.
Support is through e-mail, an online knowledge base, and FAQs. Extensive online tutorials including demo movies are available.
Xara Web Designer MX Premium is a program that someone with little or no web page design skills can use—yet it offers you more than basic capabilities. You can also use Xara Web Designer MX Premium to create online presentations that work without Flash. Thus, all these are iPad compatible too.