In PowerPoint 2013, the Slide Master influences the layout and look of all slides in your presentation. One of the changes you can make to your Slide Master is applying the Background Style so that all slide layouts and actual slides in your presentation use a different slide background. In this tutorial, we will explore how you can choose from any of the 12 available Background Styles to apply to the Slide Master.
Follow these steps to learn more:
- Launch PowerPoint 2013. You will see the Presentation Gallery here. Select the Blank Presentation option to open a blank presentation with a new slide. Typically the blank presentation has Office Theme applied. If your presentation is using another Theme, apply the Office Theme since this is a basic and clean Theme that lends itself best to changes and edits that we discuss later in this tutorial. If you do not know how to apply a Theme, explore our Applying Themes in PowerPoint, Word, and Excel 2013 tutorial.
Figure 1: Blank presentation with Office Theme applied
- Now, access the View tab of the Ribbon and click the Slide Master button, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 2.
Figure 2: Slide Master button
- This opens the Slide Master View, as shown in Figure 3. Here, within the left pane you'll find one large slide thumbnail that represents the Slide Master which has been selected within Figure 3, and the several smaller slide thumbnails below represent individual Slide Layouts. For now, do understand that changes made to the Slide Master influence its Slide Layouts, and in turn, this influences all slides within your presentation that are following that Slide Master.
Figure 3: Slide Master view
- Now, make sure that the Slide Master is in selected status as shown in Figure 3, above and click the Background Styles button (highlighted in blue within Figure 3).
- This brings up the Background Styles drop-down gallery with 12 default slide background styles shown highlighted in red within Figure 4. Click on the style of your choice to apply it to the Slide Master. In Figure 4, you can see the Style 11 being selected. Also, you can see a Live Preview of the Background Style being selected on the active slide.
Figure 4: Background Styles drop-down gallery
- This will apply the selected background style to the Slide Master and all the Slide Layouts belonging to the selected Slide Master as well, as shown in Figure 5 (compare with Figure 3, shown earlier on this page).
Figure 5: Background Style changed within the Slide Master view
- Click the Close Master View button on the Slide Master tab of the Ribbon (highlighted in red within Figure 5, above). This will get you back to Normal view, where you can see the new Background Style applied to all your slides.
- Save your presentation often.
Change Background Styles in the Slide Master in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Change Background Styles in the Slide Master in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac
Change Background Styles in the Slide Master in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Change Background Styles in the Slide Master in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows