PowerPoint allows you to choose from several styles for your numbered lists. There are variations in digits, alphabets, and Roman numerical styles. By default, PowerPoint 2016 for Windows uses the 1, 2, 3 style for numbered lists. And since you can change bulleted list styles, it is only natural that you expect some changes to be allowed for numbered list styles too.
- Open any presentation or create a new one. Then navigate to a slide that contains a numbered list. Select the entire placeholder by clicking on the edge of the placeholder (see Figure 1).
Figure 1: Slide with numbered text
- Access the Home tab of the Ribbon, and click the arrow beside the Numbering button (highlighted in blue within Figure 2).
Figure 2: Arrow beside the Numbering button
- This brings up the Numbering drop-down gallery, as shown in Figure 3. The highlighted number style is the current number style applied to your selected text.
Figure 3: Numbering drop-down gallery
- Now hover the cursor over any of the number style previews in this gallery. As you move over different previews, the selected text shows you a Live Preview of the number style being selected (see Figure 4). Click on the preview to apply the style to your selected text.
Figure 4: Live preview of number styles
- Figure 5 shows the number style of the selected text changed from digits to Alphabets style (compare Figures 1 and 5).
Figure 5: Number style changed