PowerPoint is primarily considered a slide program within which you can bring in text, graphics, multimedia, animation, etc. to deliver your message or story. Working with PowerPoint, you will discover an amazing repertoire of tools that you can use to create awesome slides. Beyond being a tool to create slides, PowerPoint is also a great drawing program with tools and options that rival top end graphic programs.
Yes, you have learned how you can use readymade shapes in PowerPoint to place rectangles, circles, and hundreds of other shapes. However, PowerPoint has always included the ability to create your own shapes from scratch by drawing them. These drawing tools are essentially the Line shapes that can be found within the Shapes gallery. This introductory tutorial shows you how to draw a simple line on the slide; subsequently, you will learn more advanced concepts.
To draw a simple point to point line in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows, follow these steps:
- Launch PowerPoint 2013 for Windows. Most of the time PowerPoint will open with a new slide in a presentation. You can change the slide layout to Blank by selecting the Home tab | Layout | Blank option.
- Within the Home or Insert tab of the Ribbon, click the Shapes button to view the Shapes drop-down gallery that you can see in Figure 1. Select the Line shape (highlighted in red within Figure 1).
Figure 1: Line shape within Shapes drop-down gallery
- As soon as the Line shape is selected, the cursor changes to a cross hair (see Figure 2).
Figure 2: Cross hair cursor
- Place the cursor to establish the starting point of your line. Then hold down the left mouse button, but don't release it yet. Drag the cursor to the point where you want the line to end. Then release the mouse button to establish the ending point of your line.
- You'll end up drawing your first line on the slide, as shown in Figure 3. The line has handles at both ends. These handles can be clicked on and dragged to resize and move the line.
Figure 3: Line drawn on the slide
- Click anywhere on the slide to deselect the line.
- Save your presentation.
Drawing Lines: Drawing Lines in PowerPoint (Index Page)Drawing Lines in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Drawing Lines in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Drawing Lines in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows
Drawing Lines in PowerPoint 2007 for Windows