All your PowerPoint files which are uploaded, created, or saved on OneDrive can be edited anytime, right within the PowerPoint Online web app that runs within your browser. But that's not the only way you can edit these PowerPoint files. Yes, OneDrive also provides you the option to edit it within the PowerPoint desktop application on your Mac. In this tutorial we'll explore how to open a file in your PowerPoint desktop applications from within OneDrive. You will need to have the latest versions of PowerPoint installed on your Mac operating system.
If you are looking at opening your PowerPoint presentations on OneDrive in your PowerPoint for Windows application, look at our Open from OneDrive in PowerPoint for Windows tutorial.
Everything Looks Different?Unlike desktop applications, both OneDrive and PowerPoint Online are constantly evolving much faster. That may explain why screenshots on this page sport an interface different from what you see when you log in.
Follow these steps to explore more:
- Sign in to your OneDrive account using your web browser. Within your OneDrive folders, select the PowerPoint file which you want to open. In Figure 1, below you can see a PowerPoint file has been selected (highlighted in red).
Figure 1: PowerPoint file selected for opening
- With the file selected, click the Open button, shown highlighted in green within Figure 1, above. This brings up the Open drop-down menu as shown in Figure 2. Within this drop-down menu, select the Open in PowerPoint option (highlighted in red within Figure 2).
Figure 2: Open in PowerPoint option
- Alternatively, right-click (or Ctrl + click) on the selected file. This brings up a contextual menu, as shown in Figure 3. Within this contextual menu, select the Open in PowerPoint option highlighted in red within Figure 3.
Figure 3: Open in PowerPoint option within contextual menu
- You may optionally get to see a message window, as shown in Figure 4. In that case, click the Allow button, shown highlighted in red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Do you want to allow this page to open "Microsoft PowerPoint"?
- Normally, when you click Allow, the appropriate PowerPoint desktop application opens the selected file, and you can take advantage of all the extra features in the desktop applications. When you save the file, it's stored back to your OneDrive folder.
Open from OneDrive in PowerPoint for Windows
Open from OneDrive in PowerPoint Online