PowerPoint's picture adjustment options enable you to customize inserted pictures in your slides in many ways. Additionally, PowerPoint also provides you with a collection of preset Picture Styles, which can be directly applied to any selected picture. Picture Styles are somewhat similar to the Shape Styles since they take just a single click to provide the selected picture with a great look. However, that's where the similarity ends. Because, the Picture Styles are not Theme specific. They just make the picture stylish by applying border, changing the frame shape, or, by adding some 3-D effects.
Follow these steps to apply Picture Style presets to selected pictures in PowerPOint 2011 for Mac:
- Open your presentation and select the picture that you want to apply the style to. You can also select more than one picture on a single slide.
- Alternatively, if you want to start from scratch, launch PowerPoint. You will see the Presentation Gallery. Click the Cancel button in this gallery to open a blank presentation with a new slide. PowerPoint 2011 for Mac users can change the slide layout to Blank by selecting the Home tab | Layout | Blank option. Then, insert a picture and select it.
- This brings up the Format Picture tab on the Ribbon (highlighted in red in Figure 1). Make sure that this contextual tab is activated. Within the Format Picture tab, locate the Picture Styles group and hover the cursor on the Picture Style previews to bring up a downward pointing arrow (More button) that you can see highlighted in blue within Figure 1.
Figure 1: Picture Styles group within the Format Picture tab
- Click this downward pointing arrow (highlighted in blue in Figure 1, above) to bring up the Picture Styles drop-down gallery that you can see in Figure 2. This gallery displays a collection of preset Picture Styles that are ready to use. Just hover the mouse cursor on any of the thumbnail previews to see a tool tip showing the name of that picture style (refer to Figure 2 again).
Figure 2: Picture Styles drop-down gallery
- Click on the preview thumbnail to apply it to the selected picture. Figure 3, shows the selected picture with a Picture Style applied (compare with Figure 1).
Figure 3: Picture Style applied to the picture
- Click on the Slide Area away from the picture to deselect it. Remember to save your presentation often.
Pictures Appearance: Picture Styles (Glossary Page)