Once a picture is inserted within PowerPoint, any manipulations you make to that picture are strictly only on the surface. The appearance of the picture changes on the slide, but the unaltered picture is stored within your PowerPoint presentation. This is an awesome feature because if you make many changes to a picture and then regret, you can just reset your picture rather than starting all over again! There's one caveat, though. The option to reset any picture back to its original form works only if you have not run any compression options for pictures within your presentation.
To reset a picture in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows, follow these steps:
- Open your presentation, and navigate to the required slide where you have already inserted a picture. If your picture is not already customized, go ahead and apply some changes. The picture that you see within Figure 1, below was flipped horizontally and a Picture Style was also applied.
Figure 1: Customized picture selected
- Make sure you select the picture so that you see the contextual Picture Tools Format tab in the Ribbon, as shown highlighted in blue within Figure 1, above.
- Within the Picture Tools Format tab, click the down-arrow (highlighted in red with Figure 2) placed next to Reset Picture button to access the Reset Picture drop-down gallery that you can see in Figure 2, below.
Figure 2: Reset Picture drop-down gallery
- Both options within the Reset Picture drop-down gallery work differently:
- Select this option to undo changes such as corrections, recoloring, etc. The result of selecting this option can be seen in Figure 3 (compare with Figure 1, above). Note that this option will not reset any resized, rotated, or flipped pictures.
Figure 3: Reset Picture option applied to picture
- Choosing this option will achieve results explained in the preceding point, and also reset all resize, flip, and rotation options applied. The result of applying this option is shown in Figure 4 (compare Figures 1 and 4).
Figure 4: Reset Picture & Size option applied to picture
- Choose options based on your requirements, and make sure you save your presentation.
Reset Picture & Size
Pictures Basics and Adjustments: Reset Pictures (Glossary Page)