Once a picture is inserted within PowerPoint, any manipulations you make to that picture are strictly only on the surface. The appearance of the picture changes on the slide, but the unaltered picture is stored within your PowerPoint presentation. Essentially that's good because if you make many changes to a picture and then regret, you can just reset your picture rather than starting all over again! There's one caveat though. The option to reset any picture back to its original form works only if you have not run any compression options for pictures within your presentation.
To reset a picture in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows, follow these steps:
- Open your presentation, and navigate to the required slide where you have already inserted a picture. If your picture is not already customized, go ahead and apply some changes. The picture that you see within Figure 1, below has been resized and applied with a Picture Style.
Figure 1: Customized picture selected
- Make sure you select the picture so that you see the contextual Picture Tools Format tab in the Ribbon, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1, above.
- Within the Picture Tools Format tab, click the down-arrow (highlighted in red with Figure 2) placed next to Reset Picture button to access the Reset Picture drop-down gallery that you can see in Figure 2, below.
Figure 2: Reset Picture drop-down gallery
- Both the options within the Reset Picture drop-down gallery are explained below:
- Select this option to undo changes such as corrections, recoloring, etc. as shown in Figure 3 (compare with Figure 1, above). Note that this option will not reset any resized, rotated, or flipped pictures.
Figure 3: Reset Picture option applied to picture
- Choosing this option will not only achieve the result explained in the preceding point, but also reset the selected picture back to its original size and status by cancelling all resize, flip, and rotation effects applied, as you can see in Figure 4 (compare Figures 1 and 4).
Figure 4: Reset Picture & Size option applied to picture
- Choose the options based on your requirements, and make sure you save your presentation.
Reset Picture & Size
Pictures Basics and Adjustments: Reset Pictures (Glossary Page)