There are many, options as far as inserting pictures from online sources within PowerPoint are concerned. Other than the Bing Image Search options, you can also access Flickr. Flickr is probably the greatest online resource for pictures uploaded by photographers and enthusiasts all over the world. However, unlike with the Bing option, PowerPoint does not allow you to insert Creative Commons licensed pictures from Flickr. You are only allowed to download and insert pictures from your own Flickr photostream. Needless to add, you will need to have an active Flickr account with photos available to use this feature.
Follow these steps to learn how to use the Flickr option to insert an online picture within PowerPoint 2013 for Windows:
- Access the Insert tab of the Ribbon, and click the Online Pictures button (highlighted in red within Figure 1).
Figure 1: Online Pictures button within the Insert tab
- This will bring up the Insert Pictures dialog box, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Insert Pictures dialog box
- Notice the Flickr option, highlighted in red within Figure 2, above.
- Unlike other services, the Flickr option does not provide you with a Search Bar to type in the keywords. Instead, you are provided with different options detailed below, as marked in Figure 2 above:
- Click the Manage hyperlink to manage your Flickr account. Learn more in our Manage and Remove Connected Services in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows tutorial.
- This shows you thumbnail previews of the first five pictures within your Flickr photostream. You can click on any of these thumbnails to insert the associated picture in your active slide within PowerPoint.
- Click this to open the next windows on the dialog box to see all the pictures within your photostream.
- Now click the See more hyperlink, and you'll get to see all the pictures within your Flickr photostream in the next window, as shown in Figure 3. You can see only four pictures in Figure 3 because we have only four pictures in our photostream.
Figure 3: Window showing more pictures
- Options within this window are explained below, as marked in Figure 3 above.
- Click this option to get back to the Insert Pictures dialog box (refer to Figure 2, shown earlier in this page).
- Here you can see pictures from your Flickr photostream.
- This search bar allows you to find pictures from within your Flickr photostream using keywords.
- Here you can see all pictures based on the search terms you provide. Unless you do this search, you will see all pictures within your Flickr photostream. If there are many pictures, you can use the scroll bar to explore more picture thumbnails.
- Here you can see the resolution and name of the selected picture.
- Here you can see the number of pictures you have selected.
- Now hover your cursor over any thumbnail preview to bring up a magnifying glass icon, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Magnifying glass icon appears on the picture
- Click the icon to preview a larger picture, as shown in Figure 5. Clicking the Insert button (highlighted in red within Figure 5, below) will insert the picture in your active slide.
Figure 5: Larger preview of the picture
- You can also select one or more pictures within the Search Results or Photostream window shown in Figure 3 (refer earlier on this page). Then click the same Insert button to insert the picture(s) in your active slide.
- The selected picture(s) will then be downloaded and inserted within your slide, as shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Picture inserted on the slide
- Make sure to save your presentation.
B. Picture preview
C. See more
A. Back to Sites
C. Search Flickr
D. Search Result
E. Picture Info
F. Selected Items
Pictures Basics and Adjustments: Insert Pictures from Flickr (Glossary Page)