For a long time, PowerPoint and other Microsoft apps were absent from Apple's App Store, and tons of wannabe programs filled in the vacuum created by the absence of PowerPoint on the iPad. Of course, this situation has since changed! To install PowerPoint on your iPad, you must first be sure that your iPad is compatible. At the time of writing, you need a device that runs Apple iOS 7 or later.
To actually install, follow these steps:
- Tap the App Store app icon on your iPad. Then within the Search box on the top right, type "powerpoint" without the quotes and tap the Search button (see Figure 1 below).
Figure 1: Look for PowerPoint on the App Store
- PowerPoint will probably show up first in the search results as shown in Figure 2, below.
Figure 2: PowerPoint shows up
- Within this listing, you will find one of four options: Get, Open, Update, or the Download icon. Do note that while the first three are text buttons, the fourth is an icon. What do these denote? Here are the explanations:
- Denotes that you have never downloaded or bought this app from Apple's App Store.
- Denotes that this app is already installed on the active Apple device.
- Denotes that this app is already installed on your active Apple device, but an update is available that you can download.
- Denotes that you have already downloaded or bought this app on another Apple device, and can now download and install it to the active device.
- If you see the Open or Update buttons, you can go straightaway to our Running PowerPoint for iPad tutorial.
- If you see the Get button/Download icon, click on it. Pressing the Get button will cause this button to change itself to another button labeled Install. Click on it to continue with the installation. Either way, you may be prompted to enter your Apple ID and/or password.
- Once the installation is done, you will see the PowerPoint icon on your iPad's screen, as shown in Figure 3, below. To learn further, explore our Running PowerPoint for iPad the First Time tutorial.
Figure 3: PowerPoint icon in iPad
Install Office and PowerPoint 2016 for Mac