Many long-time users do not know that so many options within PowerPoint can change how you can work. Most of these preferences are found within the PowerPoint Options dialog box, accessed in multiple ways:
- Within PowerPoint 2010, click the File menu, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1.
Figure 1: File menu
- This opens Backstage View, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Backstage view
- You can choose Options, as shown in Figure 2, above. Alternatively you can select Options among the Help options as shown highlighted in red within Figure 3.
Figure 3: Help options within Backstage view
- Either way, you will summon the PowerPoint Options dialog box (see Figure 4).
Figure 4: PowerPoint Options
- Here in this dialog box, you can set and change many global settings for PowerPoint such as creating a customized Quick Access toolbar, save options, etc. Do note that many settings you change can also affect other Microsoft Office 2010 programs installed such as Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. Let us explore the various tabs within the sidebar:
- General: This tab explores basic options for using PowerPoint that every user must be aware of, we cover these options within our General Program Options in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows tutorial.
- Proofing: This tab lets you modify how PowerPoint corrects and formats text—most of these options work automatically, and you may not even be aware that these settings can be changed and disabled. Options within this tab are explained in our Setting Spell Check Options in PowerPoint 2010 tutorial.
- Save: This tab explores save settings that influence presentation documents. Options within the Save presentations area are explained in our AutoRecover and AutoSave Options in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows tutorial. Other options in this tab pertain to offline editing, document management server files, etc. Finally, you will find options to embed fonts, and we cover this topic further in our Embed Fonts in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows tutorial.
- Language: This tab sets language editing and proofing preferences. Options within the Choose Editing Language area are explained in our Add and Remove Proofing Dictionaries for Foreign Languages in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows tutorial. Other options let you change the language used for display, help, and screen tips.
- Advanced: Options in this tab are explained in our Advanced Program Options in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows tutorial.
- Customize Ribbon: This tab allows you to customize the Ribbon area; you can learn more in our Add and Rename Ribbon Tabs in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows tutorial.
- Quick Access Toolbar: This tab allows you to customize the QAT. Learn more in our Customize Quick Access Toolbar in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows tutorial.
- Add-Ins: This tab allows you to view and manage your PowerPoint add-ins. We explore more in our View and Manage Add-ins in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows tutorials.
- Trust Center: We explain options within this tab in our Trust Center in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows tutorial.
- Change settings and press the OK button to accept all changes, or the Cancel button to return without making any changes.