Guides in PowerPoint 2010 are not visible by default, and you have to manually make the Guides visible on the PowerPoint slide. When the guides are made visible on any slide, they show up in the same position on all other slides within the presentation. You'll find that only two guides, one horizontal and one vertical guide are visible at first, and these two guides intersect at the center of the slide. Most of the time, this might work for you, but you can actually add more guides since these can help in positioning slide objects better across successive slides:
- Launch PowerPoint 2010, and make sure that the guides are visible. In Figure 1 you can see a empty slide with guides visible.
Figure 1: A PowerPoint presentation with guides
- It's a good idea to make the Ruler visible in your presentation, as you can see highlighted in red in Figure 2 below, making the rulers visible gives you a better idea of how you want to position the new guides.
Figure 2: Rulers made visible in the presentation
- Place you cursor over any of the guides (for this tutorial we have placed the cursor over a vertical guide), and click it so that it is selected, don't let go your mouse click yet. As long as the guide shows digits defining its position in the cursor (see Figure 3), you can be assured that it has been selected.
Figure 3: Digits shown on the cursor
- With your hold on the cursor still active so that the guide remains selected, press the Ctrl key on the keyboard and drag the mouse towards right or left of the slide to create a new guide. You'll see a live indicator of the position of this new guide as you move through the digits indicator, along with a distinct plus sign in the cursor, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: New guide created
- As shown in Figure 4 above, new guide has been created 2.00 inches left of the default vertical guide. The default vertical guide is located at 0.00, which places it right in the center, you can create new guides towards both the left and right of this default guide.
- You can add as many as guides you want both horizontally and vertically. And if you want to delete the guide just select it and drag it out of the Slide Area.