The Notes Pane
PowerPoint 365 for Windows's tri-paned interface has three regions: the Slides Pane, the Slide Area, and the Notes Pane. The Notes Pane is placed right below the Slide Area, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1. The Notes Pane provides space to add speaker's notes that can be so helpful to the presenter while presenting. You can also add any text here that contains any sort of information about the presentation or individual slide.
By default, the Notes pane may be completely empty. You may also see some boilerplate text such as "Click to add notes", as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Notes Pane in PowerPoint 365 for Windows
To add your notes in this area, you typically just click your cursor on the boilerplate text and start typing. We explain this concept in more detail within the next section.
What's important to realize is that each slide in your presentation has its own notes. When you navigate to another slide, you will have to add more notes relevant to the active slide.
Where is the Notes Pane?
Is there no Notes Pane visible, as shown in Figure 2, below? Well, you need not worry because the Notes Pane still exists, but is merely collapsed.
Figure 2: Collapsed Notes Pane
To reveal the Notes Pane, click the Notes button, magnified in red within Figure 2, above.
- Create a new presentation, or open an existing presentation, and select the slide for which you want to add some notes, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Slide selected
- Now, click within the Notes Pane to make it active. Notice that the "Click to add notes" boilerplate text disappears (see Figure 4).
Figure 4: Add text within Notes Pane
- Now, type in some text. Figure 5 shows text added to the Notes Pane.
Figure 5: Notes added for the selected slide
- Remember to save your presentation so that the notes are saved within the presentation!
Working with Notes
Here are a few guidelines, tips, and thoughts on working with both the Notes Pane and the actual notes:
- You can do basic text formatting in the Notes Pane by using bullets and non-bulleted lists, or just use plain sentences. To see more formatting in the Notes pane, see Show Formatting in Notes Pane in PowerPoint.
- To insert pictures in the Notes area, go to Notes Page view by selecting the View tab of the Ribbon, and then choosing Notes Page. You'll find that you can also do all sorts of text and picture formatting in the Notes Page, but these won't show up within the Notes Pane in Normal view.
- The Notes Master does not change the appearance of your content within the Notes pane, and is intended to infuence the Notes pages instead. You can make several changes within the Notes Master, such as changing the Background Style of printed Notes pages.
- You can choose to print just the notes for the entire presentation by choosing the Notes pages option in the default Print dialog box.
Interface Overview: Notes Pane in PowerPoint (Index Page)Notes Pane in PowerPoint 365 for Mac
Notes Pane in PowerPoint 2019 for Windows
Notes Pane in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Notes Pane in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac
Notes Pane in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Notes Pane in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Notes Pane in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows
Notes Pane in PowerPoint 2007 for Windows
Notes Pane in PowerPoint Online