Each slide in your PowerPoint deck can have some notes associated with it, and these are placed in the Notes Pane area. Do you want to print all these slide notes? Yes, you can. However, very few people realize that you can print these notes in the form of a properly structured Notes Page. This might be among the least used PowerPoint options, but this certainly is among the most useful ones!
Incidentally, even the small number of people who print Notes pages never realize that the look of their printed Notes pages can be modified within the Notes Master, one of ten views available in PowerPoint 365 for Windows. Any changes you make within Notes Master view affects the look within Notes Page view, and the layout of printed Notes pages. Do note though that these changes do not influence the appearance of the Notes Pane in Normal view.
Figure 1: Notes Master button
This opens Notes Master view, as you can see in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Notes Master view in PowerPoint 365
The Notes Master contains several placeholders, plus also the background area that can be modified as required. These are all explained below, as marked in Figure 2:
- The Slide itself
- The Notes area. These are the same notes that you see in the Notes Pane within Normal view.
- The Header placeholder
- The Date placeholder
- The Footer placeholder
- The Number placeholder
- Notes Page Background. This is not a placeholder! You can apply a picture background or change the colors as per your company branding. Additionally, you can also place a company logo or any other element within the background area (this is explained in the next section).
You can do the following tasks within the Notes Master:
- Select any placeholder and delete it by pressing the Delete key on your keyboard.
- Reposition placeholders by dragging them to a new position.
- Resize placeholders.
- Format placeholders by using the tools on the Ribbon or menus.
- Add pictures, SmartArt, clip art, or any other kind of slide objects that you want to display in the Notes view, or when Notes are printed. Do note that these slide objects (anything you insert other than the placeholders that were already available in the Notes Master) will not be editable for individual slides. Make sure that any individual objects you add are sent behind all placeholders. To do so, select the object you inserted, then right-click and choose the Send to Back | Send to Back option in the resultant contextual menu, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 3, below.
Figure 3: Send to Back option
Make the changes as required, and choose any of these options to get back to Normal view:
- Access the Notes Master tab on the Ribbon (highlighted in blue within Figure 2, shown earlier on this page), and click the Close Master View button (highlighted in red within Figure 2, shown earlier on this page).
- Access the View tab of the Ribbon, and click the Normal button.
- You can also click the Normal button located on the Status Bar (highlighted in green within Figure 2, shown earlier on this page).
Views: Notes Master View in PowerPoint (Index Page)Notes Master View in PowerPoint 365 for Mac
Notes Master View in PowerPoint 2019 for Windows
Notes Master View in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Notes Master View in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac
Notes Master View in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Notes Master View in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Notes Master View in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows