In PowerPoint, Sections are not just for effective and easy management of your slides, but they can also let you quickly reorder large blocks of adjacent slides. All you got to do is to place all slides you want to reorder within a single Section, and then move that Section. In this tutorial, we'll show you how you can reorder Sections within PowerPoint 2016:
- Open your presentation, within which you have already added Sections. Then, change to Slide Sorter view, as shown in Figure 1 so that you can easily access the Sections.
Figure 1: Presentation opened within the Slide Sorter view
- Now, right-click on the name of the Section to be moved. In Figure 2 you can see that we have chosen the Section named Content for reordering. Within the contextual menu that appears, you will find two reordering options: Move Section Up and Move Section Down, as shown highlighted in blue within Figure 2.
Figure 2: Options to move the selected Section
- Did you find either Move Section Up or Move Section Down option greyed out? If you have right-clicked the first Section in the presentation, you will find the Move Section Up option greyed out. If you have right-clicked the last Section in the presentation, you will find the Move Section Down option greyed out.
- Let us explore both options for moving section:
- This option moves the selected Section along with its content slides one Section above the preceding Section, as shown in Figure 3 (highlighted in blue). Compare with Figure 1 (shown earlier on this page) to see the difference.
Figure 3: Result of selecting Move Section Up option
- This option moves the selected Section along with its content slides one Section below the following Section, as shown in Figure 4 (highlighted in blue). Compare with Figure 1 (shown earlier on this page) to see the difference.
Figure 4: Result of selecting Move Section Down option
- Select any option to move Sections as required.
Missing Move Section Commands?
A. Move Section Up
B. Move Section Down
The options explained above will move the Section just one level up or down. In case if you want to move the selected Section to a position after or before a number of Sections, then you have to use the drag and drop method, as explained below:
- Within Slide Sorter view, click on the Section to be moved and start dragging as shown highlighted in red within Figure 5. PowerPoint 2016 will automatically collapse all Sections.
Figure 5: Section being dragged from its position
- Drag it to the position where you want to move it. In Figure 6 you can see that we have dragged the selected Section below the last Section in the presentation (highlighted in red).
Figure 6: Section being dragged to its new position
- Let go the mouse button when the Section is moved to the required position, as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7: Section moved to the new position
- Save your presentation.
Collapse and Reorder
A more intuitive way to reorder Sections, especially if your Sections have many, many slides, is to first Collapse your Sections as explained in our Viewing Sections in PowerPoint 2016 tutorial so that you right away only see the Section names without any slides, as shown in Figure 8, below. Then you can just drag the Section names to reorder as required!
Figure 8: Collapsed Sections are easier to reorder
Sections: Reordering Sections in PowerPoint (Index Page)Reordering Sections in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Reordering Sections in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Reordering Sections in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows