To logically group your slides into parts, you should explore the Sections option in PowerPoint. Sections open up many possibilities, and you are not just limited to adding and renaming Sections. You can also move slides from one Section to another, change the order of Sections, or collapse/expand Sections. Of course, you can also remove a Section, as explained below:
- Open your presentation in PowerPoint 2016 within which you have already added Sections. Change to Slide Sorter view, as shown in Figure 1 so that you can easily access the Sections in your presentation.
Figure 1: Presentation opened within the Slide Sorter view
- Right-click on the name of the Section to be removed. In Figure 2, you can see that we choose the Section named Resources for removal. Within the contextual menu that appears, you will find three options for removing the Section, as marked in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Options to remove the selected Section
- Let us explore all three options for removing the Section, as marked in Figure 2, shown earlier on this page:
- This option removes the selected Section. All slides from the Section are not deleted though; they are added to the Section above the removed Section, as shown in Figure 5 (compare with Figure 1, earlier on this page).
Figure 5: Result of selecting Remove Section option
- This option removes the selected Section along with all the slides contained within, as shown in Figure 6. Yes, everything will be deleted, so do be careful!
Figure 6: Result of selecting Remove Section and Slides option
- This option removes not only the selected Section, but all sections in the presentation, resulting in only slides with no Sections, as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7: Result of selecting Remove All Sections option
- Select any option to remove Section(s) as required.
- Save your presentation often.
Are Some Options for Sections Grayed Out?
Did you find the Remove Section option greyed out as shown highlighted in red within Figure 3 below? This is possible if you have selected the first Section in a presentation with multiple Sections.
Figure 3: Remove Section option greyed out
However, if there is only one Section in the presentation, then the Remove Section option will be available within the first and only Section of your presentation, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Remove Section option not greyed out
A. Remove Section
B. Remove Section and Slides
C. Remove All Sections
Sections: Removing Sections in PowerPoint (Index Page)Removing Sections in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Removing Sections in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Removing Sections in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows