Unlike slides which are primarily presented through a display device such as a monitor, TV screen or projector. The Notes and Handout pages in PowerPoint are essentially intended for printing. In this tutorial, we will explore how you can add Headers and Footers to make your printed Notes and Handout pages more professional-looking and useful.
The terms Header and Footer typically come from word processing programs. They denote repeated elements that show at the top and bottom of every page. Headers and Footers work similarly on PowerPoint Notes and Handout pages. Explore Figure 1 below where all Header and Footer elements that you can place in Notes (left side) and Handouts (right side) are shown.
Figure 1: Header and Footer elements in Notes and Handouts
Typically, the term Header and Footer denotes four placeholders:
A. Date (marked in blue within Figure 1).
B. Footer (marked in orange within Figure 1). You can add a message, a company name, or anything you want to be visible on all slides here.
C. Page number (marked in green within Figure 1).
D. Header (marked in red within Figure 1). You can add a message, a company name, or anything you want to be visible on all slides here.
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to make these Header and Footer elements visible on your slides in PowerPoint 2016:
- Open the presentation where you want to add any Header or Footer elements. Choose the Insert tab of the Ribbon, as shown in Figure 2 (highlighted in red).
Figure 2: Insert tab of the Ribbon
- Within the Insert tab, click the Header & Footer button (highlighted in red within Figure 3).
Figure 3: Header & Footer button
- This brings up the Header and Footer dialog box, as shown in Figure 4. Make sure you select the Notes and Handouts tab, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Notes and Handouts tab within Header and Footer dialog box
- Note that the options you select or deselect within this tab will affect the Notes and Handout pages you see onscreen or print. All these options are explained below, as marked in Figure 4, above:
- Select this check-box to make the date appear on your Handout and Notes pages. Then choose whether you want the Date and time to Update Automatically, or set them to Fixed, to achieve any of the results explained below:
- Select this radio button and then open the drop-down list (see Figure 5) to choose a date (or date and time) format. You can even choose the Language and Calendar type. Changing these options may show different options within the drop-down list you see in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Date (or date and time) format drop-down list
- Select this radio button and enter a date in the box, as shown in Figure 7 (highlighted in red). By default, this uses the current date. Also the date remains the same no matter when or where you edit or deliver your presentation.
Figure 7: Fixed radio button selected
- Select this check-box to enable the page number to be visible on your Notes and Handout pages.
- Select this check-box to make Header visible on the Notes and Handout page in your presentation. Additionally, when this check-box is selected, the box below gets activated as shown in Figure 8. Where you can enter the content of the header. Typically, users like to type in stuff like Company's name, etc. in this area.
Figure 8: Add header text
- This check-box when selected, makes the Footer visible on Notes and Handout pages in your presentation. Additionally, when this check-box is selected, the box below gets activated as shown in Figure 9, where you can enter the content of the footer. Typically, users like to type in stuff like Confidential, Draft, etc. in this area, or even copyright notices.
Figure 9: Add footer text
- You can similarly add and edit Headers and Footers in your slides. Look at our Add Headers and Footers to Slides in PowerPoint 2016 tutorial to learn more.
- Now, click the Apply to All button to apply the Header or Footer to Notes and Handout pages in your presentation.
- Save your presentation often.
A. Date and time
Note: The Language and Calendar type options may be grayed out if you don't have more than one proofing language installed for PowerPoint 2016 (and Office 2016). Once you have additional languages installed, both these options will be available as shown below in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Adding date and time formats for foreign languages and calendars
B. Page number
Add Headers and Footers to Notes and Handout Pages in PowerPoint 365 for Mac
Add Headers and Footers to Notes and Handout Pages in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Add Headers and Footers to Notes and Handout Pages in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Add Headers and Footers to Notes and Handout Pages in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows