Unlike in PowerPoint versions on Windows, you cannot access Share options in Backstage view within PowerPoint 2016 for Mac. Instead, all share options are accessed via conventional menu options. These options share the current presentation through the cloud via OneDrive. You can also email the presentation as an attachment, a link, or a PDF.
Follow these steps to learn more about Share options in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac:
- Open a presentation to be shared and click the File menu, and choose the Share option. This opens a flyout menu with options, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1.
Figure 1: Share options in File menu
- We will now explore these options:
- If you are working on a local file (or any other file that's not opened from your OneDrive or SharePoint drive), clicking the Invite People option brings up a message window, shown in Figure 2, below, asking you to save the presentation file to an online cloud location, typically your OneDrive or SharePoint accounts. You must click the Save to Cloud button to proceed.
Figure 2: Share options
- Doing so brings up the Save As dialog box with a list with cloud locations. You can also click the Add a Place option, highlighted in red within Figure 3, below, that will allow you to add more OneDrive and SharePoint cloud locations.
Figure 3: Choose a Place
- Once you save your file to a cloud location, or if you open a file from your OneDrive or SharePoint location, the Share flyout in the File menu changes, as can be seen highlighted in red within Figure 4, below (compare with Figure 1).
Figure 4: Share options for files on OneDrive or SharePoint
- We will now explore the following three options: Invite People, Copy View-only Link, and Copy View and Edit Link.
- Clicking this option brings up the screen shown in Figure 5, below.
Figure 5: Invite people to view and edit
- You can type in one or more email addresses and a message to the recipient of the share. Additionally, you can check the Can Edit option that allows recipients to edit the PowerPoint presentation. If you do not want them to be able to edit, make sure that this option is not checked. Once you have made your choices, click the Share button.
- This option copies a view-only (read-only) link to the clipboard so that you can share the link via email, chat, or any other messaging platform. You may see a Loading share link notification, shown in Figure 6, below, for a moment before the link is available on the clipboard.
Figure 6: Loading share link notification
- This option copies an edit-enabled link to the clipboard so that you can share the link via email, chat, or any other messaging platform. You may see a Loading share link notification, as shown in Figure 7, above, for a moment before the link is available on the clipboard.
- Selecting this option opens a new email in your default mail application, with a copy of the PowerPoint file attached.
- Exports your presentation as a PDF file, that attaches to a new email in your default mail application.
- Using options explained, you can share your PowerPoint presentation as an editable or non-editable file, or even as a PDF.
A. Invite People
B. Copy View-only Link
C. Copy View and Edit Link
Share Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 365 for Windows
Share Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 365 for Mac
Share Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2019 for Windows
Share Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2019 for Mac
Share Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Share Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows