PowerPoint 2016 for Mac allows you to customize the Ribbon in a number of ways. You can add new Ribbon tabs, add Groups within the Ribbon tabs, and populate these Groups with useful commands. And if you think you made a mess and were better off with the defaults, then you can always get back to square one by choosing to reset changes made to one tab of the Ribbon, or even all tabs.
Unfortunately, PowerPoint on the Mac does not allow you to share your Ribbon customizations with friends and colleagues, or also your other computers. Hopefully, that feature will soon be added.
If you want to reset your customizations, follow these steps:
- To reset customizations, you need to bring up the Ribbon & Toolbar dialog box. There are two ways to access this dialog box. The easier way is to click the down-arrow on the Quick Access Toolbar, and to choose the More Commands option from the resultant menu, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1.
Figure 1: More Commands option
- Alternatively, choose the PowerPoint | Preferences menu option as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Access PowerPoint Preferences
- This opens the PowerPoint Preferences dialog box, as shown in Figure 3. Within this dialog box, select the Ribbon & Toolbar option (highlighted in red within Figure 3).
Figure 3: Ribbon & Toolbar option
- Either way, you get to the Ribbon & Toolbar dialog box, as shown in Figure 4. We now chose Home, an existing tab in the Ribbon that we customized earlier by adding a new group and command.
Figure 4: New group and command added to the Home tab
- Now, click the Gear icon, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 4, above. This brings up the flyout menu you see in Figure 5, below.
Figure 5: Settings menu
- This menu contains three options:
- Rename: Renames selected tab of group, as explained in our Add and Rename Ribbon Tabs in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac tutorial.
- Reset only selected Ribbon tab: Resets all options for the selected Ribbon tab to the defaults.
- Reset all customizations: Resets all Ribbon customizations to the defaults.
- Click the Save button to confirm your changes, or the Cancel button to exit this dialog box without any changes.
Reset, Export, and Import Ribbon Customizations in PowerPoint 365 for Windows
Reset, Export, and Import Ribbon Customizations in PowerPoint 365 for Mac
Reset, Export, and Import Ribbon Customizations in PowerPoint 2019 for Windows
Reset, Export, and Import Ribbon Customizations in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Reset, Export, and Import Ribbon Customizations in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows