No Import and Export of Customizations in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac
PowerPoint 2016 for the Mac does not let you import or export customizations. If you want Microsoft to add this option, please upvote for this choice at the PowerPoint Uservoice site. Do note though that feature requests are more oriented towards current and upcoming versions of PowerPoint and Microsoft Office.
If you have a bunch of commands that you use frequently, you may want to keep them more accessible within PowerPoint 2016 for Mac by customizing your Quick Access Toolbar. You populate the QAT with commands you use often. Over a period, these customizations may become a valuable asset you want to save or share. However, PowerPoint 2016 on the Mac does not let you import or export customizations.
On the other hand, do you want to get rid of QAT customizations because you need to hand over your computer to someone else, or you may want to reset your QAT to the default state, devoid of all your customizations? Yes, you can do all this and more. If you want to reset your QAT customizations, follow these steps:
- To reset customizations, you need to bring up the Ribbon & Toolbar dialog box. There are two ways to access this dialog box. The easier way is to click the down-arrow on the Quick Access Toolbar, and to choose the More Commands option from the resultant menu, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1.
Figure 1: More Commands option
- Alternatively, choose the PowerPoint | Preferences menu option as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Access PowerPoint Preferences
- This opens the PowerPoint Preferences dialog box, as shown in Figure 3. Within this dialog box, select the Ribbon & Toolbar option (highlighted in red within Figure 3).
Figure 3: Ribbon & Toolbar option
- Either way, you get to the Ribbon & Toolbar dialog box, as shown in Figure 4, below. Make sure you select the Quick Access Toolbar tab (refer to Figure 4, again). You can see that we added some commands to the Customize Quick Access Toolbar section, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Commands added to Customize Quick Access Toolbar section
- Now, click the Gear icon, as shown highlighted in blue within Figure 4, above. This brings up the flyout menu you see in Figure 5, below.
Figure 5: Settings menu
- This menu contains three options:
- Rename: This option is typically grayed out.
- Reset only Quick Access Toolbar: Resets the Quick Access Toolbar to default options (you will see a warning box).
- Reset all customizations: Resets all Quick Access toolbar and Ribbon customizations to the defaults (you will see a warning box).
- Click the Save button to confirm your changes, or the Cancel button to exit this dialog box without any changes.
Reset, Export, and Import QAT Customizations in PowerPoint 365 for Windows
Reset, Export, and Import QAT Customizations in PowerPoint 365 for Mac
Reset, Export, and Import QAT Customizations in PowerPoint 2019 for Windows
Reset, Export, and Import QAT Customizations in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Reset, Export, and Import QAT Customizations in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows