PowerPoint works with the concept of selection, and then action. And the action typically is to edit whatever you may have selected! For such editing, the Format Task pane in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac can be indispensable. The Format Task pane aligns neatly within the interface in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac, and you can now immediately see how your choices affect selected slide objects. The Format Task pane is often tabbed. This means that you can jump quickly between different elements of your slide object! In many ways thus, the Format Task pane is the single source where different style formatting options are consolidated in one place.
In this article, we will explore how you can bring up the Format Task pane and how it works:
Summon Format Task Pane
- Open or create a slide which already has a shape. Select the shape, as you can see in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Slide with shape
- Right-click (or Ctrl+click) the shape to bring up a contextual menu, as shown in Figure 2. Within the contextual menu select the Format Shape option (see Figure 2, again).
Figure 2: Format Shape option
- This brings up the Format Shape Task pane, pinned on the right side of the interface, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 3.
Figure 3: Format Shape Task pane
- As you can see in Figure 3 above, the Format Task pane shows Format Shape options as we accessed the right-click menu from a selected shape. The formatting options change based on the object selected:
Selected Object Task Pane Table Format Shape Chart Format Chart Area Shape Format Shape Picture Format Picture Text Box Format Shape WordArt Format Shape Text Placeholder Format Shape Video Format Video Audio (the Audio icon) Format Picture SmartArt Format Shape Slide Background (Nothing selected) Format Background
Move the Format Task Pane
The open Format Task pane can be easily moved from the right side of the interface to left side or anywhere on the interface, to do that, follow these steps:
- Click on the top area of the Format Task pane (highlighted in red within Figure 4) and drag it out of its position, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: Move Format Task pane
- You can drag the Format Task pane off the PowerPoint interface to another area on your Desktop (see Figure 5), or even onto a second display attached to your computer.
Figure 5: Format Task pane dragged off the PowerPoint interface
Resize the Task Pane
You can also resize the Format Task pane:
- Place your cursor on the edge of the Format Task pane to summon the two arrow headed cursor (highlighted in red within Figure 6).
Figure 6: Two arrow headed cursor
- And then click and drag towards the left or right to resize the Format Task pane as required.
Interface Overview: Format Task Panes in PowerPoint (Index Page)Format Task Panes in PowerPoint 365 for Windows
Format Task Panes in PowerPoint 365 for Mac
Format Task Panes in PowerPoint 2019 for Windows
Format Task Panes in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Format Task Panes in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows