Do you have a secret slide with useful information that you would rather not delete? But what if you show this slide to your audience inadvertently? How do you cope with this problem? The solution is easy: you just hide the slide. Hidden slides don’t show up in Slide Show view, but they are still available to edit and to possibly unhide when you are ready to show that slide to the world.
Follow these steps to hide and unhide your slides in PowerPoint 2013:
- Open your presentation that contains slides you want to hide. To make the hiding process easier, view the slides in Slide Sorter view, as shown in Figure 1, below.
Figure 1: Slide Sorter view
- Next, you need to select the slides that you want to hide. To select a single slide, just click on it. To select multiple, non-contiguous slides, select the first one, and then press the Ctrl key as you click on other slides. To select contiguous slides, select your first slide, and then press the Shift key and click on the last slide you want to select, you will end up selecting all slides in between.
- Whatever selection options you choose, you will end up with a selection of one or more slides, as can be seen in Figure 2, below.
Figure 2: Select your slides
- Now carefully right-click on any selected slide to bring up a contextual menu, as shown in Figure 3, below. Choose the Hide Slide option, highlighted in blue within Figure 3.
Figure 3: Right-click and hide slides
- You can also access the Slide Show tab of the Ribbon, and click the Hide Slide button, highlighted in blue within Figure 4, below.
Figure 4: Hide slides with a click
You are not necessarily restricted to Slide Sorter view to hide or unhide slides. You can also select slides within the Slides Pane, and access the same right-click options (see Figure 5), or even use the Hide Slide button on the Slide Show tab of the Ribbon.
Figure 5: Hide slides from the Slides Pane
Do note that all hidden slides have diagonally strikes over the slide number, and also look faded both in the Slides Pane as well as in the Slide Sorter view (see Figure 6).
Figure 6: Faded slides indicate their hidden status
Tip: All options used to hide slides work as toggles. You choose these options to hide slides, and then choose the same options to unhide slides.
Want to show a hidden slide in Slide Show view? It’s easy if you know the slide number. For example, if the slide number of this slide is 16, you just press 1, 6, and Enter keys in rapid succession, and your slide will change to slide number 16. This trick works with all slides, including hidden slides.
01 09 05 - Working with Slides: Hide/Unhide Slides in PowerPoint (Glossary Page)