When you launch PowerPoint 2013, it always provides you with an option to open a new blank presentation. Further, if you are already working on an open presentation, and want to create a new presentation at that point, you can do so using the New option within the Backstage View.
Follow these steps to explore the New option within Backstage View in PowerPoint 2013:
- Launch PowerPoint 2013. This opens a new presentation.
- Click the File menu, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1.
Figure 1: File menu
- This opens the Backstage View. Select the New option as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: New option selected within Backstage view
- Options to open a new presentations are explained below, as marked in Figure 2, above:
- Here, just enter any keyword(s) as shown highlighted in red within Figure 3 and click the Search button to search for online templates and Themes. You can see the results as shown in Figure 3. Click on any of the thumbnails to open a new presentation based on the template. You can also pick up any other category to search for the templates, from the Category Pane, shown highlighted in blue within Figure 3.
Figure 3: Result of searched keyword
- Here you'll find some suggested searches based on keywords and categories. These include: Presentations, Business, Industry, Education, Labels, Charts, and Personal. Just click on any of these keywords to get relevant results, and also to access the Category Pane, as shown highlighted in blue in Figure 3, above.
- Here you'll find templates and Themes created by the user, or placed by your system administrator in a designated folder. If you haven’t created or placed any custom templates or Themes, you will not see this Personal option, as well as the Featured option we discuss next.
- This section header is only visible if you have Personal content, as explained in the preceding section, thus necessitating the distinction between Personal and Featured content. Either way, you will get access to locally available default templates. If you click on any template other than Blank Presentation, you will bring up a window with the selected template, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: Selected template
- Within this window you will get to choose from variations of the selected Theme (highlighted in red within Figure 4). The More Images arrows (highlighted in blue within Figure 4) show some of the layouts available in the selected Theme. And the arrows highlighted in green in Figure 4 browse previous and next Themes. When you have selected the required Theme and the layout, click the Create button (highlighted in orange in Figure 4) to open a new presentation based on the selection.
A. Search for online templates and themes
B. Suggested searches
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 365 for Windows
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 365 for Mac
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2019 for Windows
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2016 for Mac
New Tab of Backstage View in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows