Microsoft Office 2007 is one of the most popular Office suites released so far by Microsoft. Even after so many years, it continues to be one of the major programs still in use. However, after years of use, your installation of Office 2007 may not run too well. You may encounter crashes or even some corrupted files. Additionally you may see some error messages when you launch PowerPoint 2007 or some of the other Office 2007 programs. As a result, you may feel frustrated and might want to do something magical that will solve these issues.
Fortunately, Office 2007 comes with an inbuilt on-demand detect and repair tool known as Microsoft Office Diagnostics. There are three easy ways to access this program. Additionally you can also run a Repair installation. We explain both these options within this tutorial.
To run Office Diagnostics, follow these steps:
- Open Office Word, Excel or PowerPoint versions of Office 2007. Then click the Microsoft Office button that appears at the top left of any of these programs as shown in Figure 1 below. Then, click PowerPoint Options (if you are on Word or Excel then you may find this option named as per the program opened).
Figure 1: Click the Microsoft Office button
- Either way you will bring up an Options dialog box. Click the Resources option within the sidebar. Then click the Diagnose button, highlighted in red wihin Figure 2 below.
Figure 2: The Options dialog box
- Microsoft Office Diagnostics' window appears, as shown in Figure 3 below. Now, click the Continue button.
Figure 3: Microsoft Office Diagnostics
- The Start Diagnostics window now appears. Click the Run Diagnostics button.
Figure 3: Run Diagnostics
- The diagnosis may take upto 15 minutes to complete depending upon your system's performance. Once the diagnosis is completed, you will see the results, as shown in Figure 4, below.
Figure 4: Office Diagnosis results
- Click the Continue button to see recommendations from Microsoft.
Tip: You need not run an Office program to launch Office Diagnostics. You can find this same option within the Windows Start menu, choose Start | Programs | Microsoft Office | Microsoft Office Tools | Microsoft Office Diagnostics.
Figure 5: Microsoft Office Diagnostics in start menu
You can also find the executable file for Microsoft Office Diagnostics in the following folder. Navigate to the below mentioned path and double-click the offdiag.exe file to run.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office12\offdiag.exe
Figure 6: Locating Office Diagnostics in a folder
In this case, we assume that C is the drive on which you installed Office 2007. If you have installed it on any other drive, just substitute C:\ with that drive name.
Running a Repair Installation
If the previous step does not work for any reason, you can opt to Repair your installation. Follow these steps to do so:
- Launch the Run dialog box in Windows, and type in "control appwiz.cpl" without the quotes, as shown in Figure 7, below. Then click the OK button.
Figure 7: Run dialog box
- This will launch the Programs panel, as shown in Figure 8, below. Your interface may look a little different based upon which version of Windows you are using but the general process still remains the same.
Figure 8: Programs and Features window
- Within the list of programs, locate your Office 2007 version. This may differ on different systems, for instance our version of Office 2007 is called Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007. Choose your version of Office 2007, and then click the Change button as shown in Figure 9, below.
Figure 9: Click the Change button
- Now a setup window appears, as shown in Figure 10, below. Select the Repair option and click the Continue button.
Figure 8: Repair window
- The Repair process will begin and may take several minutes depending upon your system's configuration. Once the process is completed, you will find a confirmation window as shown in Figure 9 below.
Figure 9: Confirmation window
- Click the Close button to complete the Repair process.