PowerPoint's implementation of the SmartArt feature is so good because of the many customizations you can make. You can change colors of the entire SmartArt graphic, or apply cool SmartArt styles. In addition, you can format individual shapes within SmartArt graphics, change individual shapes and move shapes within SmartArt graphics.
Follow these steps to resize individual shapes within SmartArt graphics in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows:
- Select your existing SmartArt graphic, as shown in Figure 1, below.
- Note that once you select a SmartArt graphic, two contextual tabs activate on the Ribbon. These are the SmartArt Tools Design and the SmartArt Tools Format tabs, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 2, below.
Figure 1: Basic Radial SmartArt graphic
- The SmartArt Tools Design and the SmartArt Tools Format tabs are contextual tabs. These tabs are special tabs in the Ribbon that are not visible all the time. They only make an appearance when you are working with a particular slide object which can be edited using special options.
- Select any shape within the SmartArt graphic that you want to resize. In this example, you will notice that we have selected the circle in the center, as shown in Figure 2, below. Now, select the SmartArt Tools Format tab on the Ribbon.
Figure 2: SmartArt Tools Format tab selected
- Within the SmartArt Tools Format tab, locate the Shapes group, choose the Larger or Smaller buttons, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 3, below, to resize your selected shape.
Figure 3: Larger and Smaller buttons
- Alternatively, you can also place the cursor over the selected shape’s handles (four bluish white round handles on the corners, and four bluish white square handles on the sides) and drag to get your desired size. Learn more in our Resizing Shapes in PowerPoint 2010 tutorial.
- Figure 4, below, shows the selected circle resized. If you compare Figures 2 and 4 you will notice that the selected circle has become smaller.
Figure 4: Selected shape within the SmartArt graphic is resized
- You can restore the original size of any shape which you resize. To do so, right-click the shape you want to restore the size for, and then choose the Reset Shape option in the contextual menu, as shown in Figure 5, below.
Figure 5: Reset Shape option
- Save your presentation often.
Advanced SmartArt: Resize Shapes within SmartArt Graphics (Glossary Page)