The fact that SmartArt allows so much customization in PowerPoint by applying new colors or styles means that your SmartArt graphic may not be quite the same as what you started with. Also, you may have resized or moved individual shapes within the SmartArt graphic, and there's no real undo for any of these options once you save and close your presentation file. If you do need to undo all of the customizations, you can do so by restoring the default layout and colors of the entire SmartArt graphic using the Reset option.
In this tutorial, you will learn how you can restore a SmartArt graphic to its default layout and colors, and get rid of any other customizations in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac:
- Select your existing SmartArt graphic, which you have applied some style to, as shown in Figure 1, below. Select the SmartArt tab of the Ribbon, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1, below, and locate the Reset group, as shown highlighted in blue within Figure 1, within this tab.
Figure 1: Horizontal Picture List SmartArt with customized color and style
- In this group, click the Reset Graphic button, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 2, below.
Figure 2: Reset Graphic button for SmartArt
- Alternatively, right-click (or Ctrl + click) the selected SmartArt graphic to bring up the contextual menu, as shown in Figure 3, and then choose the Reset Graphic option.
Figure 3: Reset Graphic option selected within the contextual menu
- Either way, you will restore the SmartArt graphic’s default look with all customizations removed, as shown in Figure 4, below (compare with Figure 1, shown previously on this page). Do note that although this step resets color choices and the layout, it does retain any pictures you may have added in the SmartArt picture placeholders. If you want to get rid of any picture, just select the picture, and press the Delete key on your keyboard.
Figure 4: Reset SmartArt to its default state retains added pictures
- Save your presentation often.