If your chart has negative values, then PowerPoint uses the same fill color for negative values as you can see in the sample chart within Figure 1, below. Fortunately, you can override this color choice with a convenient Invert if Negative option that we briefly explored towards the end of the Changing Fills and Outlines of Charts tutorial.
Figure 1: Chart with negative values
Where is the Invert if Negative Option?
The Invert if Negative option is only enabled for column, bar, cylinder, cone, and pyramid chart types. The pie and area chart types do not have this option as they don't plot negative figures.
To use the Invert if Negative option you must have a chart that has negative values, as shown in Figure 1, above. Then, follow these steps to use the Invert if Negative option in PowerPoint 2007 for Windows:
- Select the data series by clicking on it as shown in Figure 2, below. Alternatively you can select the data series from the chart elements drop-down list.
Figure 2: Selected chart element (data series)
- Activate the Chart Tools Layout tab of the Ribbon found towards the extreme right of the Ribbon. Make sure that you have the correct data series selected. Then, click the Format Selection button as shown in Figure 3, below.
Figure 3: Format Selection button
- This action summons the Format Data Series dialog box, as shown in Figure 4, below.
Figure 4: Format Data Series
- Within the Format Data Series dialog box, select the Fill tab on the sidebar. Next, below the Fill options, check the Invert if Negative box, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 5, below. Then, click the Close button to get back to the chart. Figure 6 shows you the same Format Data Series dialog box with Invert if negative option selected in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows.
Figure 5: Invert if negative
Figure 6: Invert if negative in PowerPoint 2010
- Doing so will change the color fill of the negative figure column to white, as you can see in Figure 7, below.
Figure 7: Negative figure column
- You can change the color fill of your negative figure column to something other than white. Our Changing Color for Negative Data Series in PowerPoint 2007 and 2010 Charts tutorial explains more.
- Save your presentation.
Can I Change the Negative Color to Something Other than White?
Using the Invert if Negative Option for Charts in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Using the Invert if Negative Option for Charts in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Using the Invert if Negative Option for Charts in PowerPoint 2003 and 2002 for Windows