Although charts are a visual medium, they still contain plenty of text in the form of data labels, titles, legend, axis labels, etc. And while PowerPoint 2007 does make it simpler to access text formatting options than in previous PowerPoint versions, there's still some learning involved. That sort of learning is exactly what this tutorial aims to provide.
Follow these steps to change font and other text options for charts in PowerPoint 2007 for Windows:
- If you don't have a chart on your slide, do insert a chart in your slide in PowerPoint 2007. Then, select the chart as shown in Figure 1, below.
Figure 1: Select the chart
- When you select the chart, you'll find that the entire chart area gets selected. If you want to change options for a particular chart element, you'll have to click on that element to select it. Alternatively, you can select any chart element from the contextual Chart Tools Layout tab of the Ribbon. Now, click on the Horizontal Category Axis (the horizontal line at the bottom of the plot area), as shown in Figure 2, below.
Figure 2: Horizontal Category Axis
- The Chart Tools, Design, and Layout tabs are contextual tabs. Contextual tabs are special tabs in the Ribbon that are not visible all the time. They only make an appearance when you are working with a particular slide object which can be edited using special options.
- Thereafter, choose any of these three options to change font and text formatting:
- Access the Home tab of the Ribbon and choose any option in the Font group, as shown in Figure 3, below.
Figure 3: Font
- Access the Font dialog box. Some options in the Font group above may not be found in the Font dialog box. Primarily, the option to add shadow to text is missing.
- Finally, you can select any text and right-click to bring up the Mini Toolbar. Most options in the Mini Toolbar can be found in both the Font group and in the Font dialog box.
- Make any changes to font and text formatting as required.
- Save your presentation.
Changing Fonts and Other Text Options for Charts in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Changing Fonts and Other Text Options for Charts in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Changing Fonts and Other Text Options for Charts in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows
Changing Fonts and Other Text Options for Charts in PowerPoint 2003 and 2002 for Windows