You won’t find an option to add an organization chart in PowerPoint 2013’s Insert tab of the Ribbon. Instead, you will find the SmartArt option in the same tab, and organization charts are just one of the many variants of SmartArt graphics you can insert into your slide. An organization chart graphically represents the management or hierarchical structure of an organization. If you want to illustrate the reporting relationships in your company or organization, you can easily create an organization chart.
Follow these steps to insert an organization chart using SmartArt in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows:
- Create a new presentation, or open an existing presentation in PowerPoint.
- Insert a new slide (Ctrl + M), and it may use the Title and Content Slide layout. However, if you create a new presentation (Ctrl + N), your first slide will use the Title Slide layout that you should change to Title and Content to follow along with us.
- Learn how to insert a new slide in PowerPoint 2013 and how to change the slide layout in PowerPoint 2013.
- Click the Layout button in the Home tab of the Ribbon to bring up the Layout drop-down gallery, as shown in Figure 1, below. Select any of the layouts that include a content placeholder. A content placeholder is the small palette-like a collection of multicolored buttons visible on some of the slide layouts, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Choose a slide layout that includes a content placeholder
- If your slide layout has a content placeholder, click the Insert a SmartArt Graphic button among the six buttons in the content placeholder that you can see in the slide within Figure 2, below.
Figure 2: Content Placeholder
- Alternatively, if you want to insert an organization chart in an existing slide that has no content placeholder, select the Insert tab of the Ribbon, and click the SmartArt button, as shown in Figure 3, below.
Figure 3: SmartArt button
- Either of these options opens the Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box, as shown in Figure 4, below.
Figure 4: Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box
- The left pane lists the types of SmartArt graphics available. The middle area displays SmartArt graphic variants within the selected type, and the area towards the right shows a preview of the selected SmartArt graphic along with a brief description.
- Within the left pane, click the Hierarchy option. Then, choose any of the first few layouts in this category, that are organization charts, as shown in Figure 5, below. Then, click the OK button.
Figure 5: Select any Organization Chart variant to insert
- Doing so will place the selected organization chart on your slide, as shown in Figure 6, below.
Figure 6: Inserted organization chart
- When the organization chart is placed on the slide, click the arrows located on the left side, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 6, above to open the text pane, as shown in Figure 7, below.
Figure 7: SmartArt graphic text pane
- Any text content added or edited within the text pane shows up within the Organization Chart as well.
- Save your presentation.
PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts
Do you want more keyboard shortcuts?
Explore our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences Ebook that is updated for all PowerPoint versions.
Add More Shapes
Learn how to add more shapes to your organization chart in our Adding New Shapes to Existing Organization Charts in PowerPoint 2013 tutorial.
Organization Charts: Insert an Organization Chart (Glossary Page)