If you need to create night skies, space scenes, and galaxies often for your image compositions, then you'll love to explore Diard Software's Universe Image Creator product. Using Universe Image Creator (hereafter called Universe), you can whip up your own Milky Way in a few seconds!
Universe is actually two programs. First, there is a standalone version that outputs images in any size and resolution you want. And then there's the Universe plug-in that works from within Photoshop or any other plug-in compatible program to provide the same possibilities. Whichever version you use, they both work the same way although the plug-in version does make your image editing workflow so much easier.
Universe is from Diard Software, a North Carolina, United States based company that specializes in creating multimedia programs. You can learn more about Diard Software and download trial versions of the products at their site.
My contact at Diard Software for this review was Wendy Diard. Thank you, Wendy.
How To Use
Here's how you can use the Photoshop plug-in version.
- Open a new or existing Photoshop image. Fill the layer with black color (or any other dark sky color). The effect can be applied on existing layer and even on an empty layer.
- In Photoshop, choose the Filter | Universe option, as shown in Figure 1, below.
Figure 1: Choose Filter | Universe option
- There are nine effects like Stars, Textured Stars, Nebula, Vortex, Lens Flare, Galaxy, Distant Star, Interstellar Gas, and Planets choose any of these effects as required. For this tutorial, we are selecting Galaxy.
- All the effects generate realistic space images. Also, every effect opens a new dialog box containing:
- Properties sliders for the effect selected to make changes,
- A preview area,
- A Reseed button which is used to recreates the plug-in effect using a new sequence of random numbers,
- An orientation control to change the placing of the effect, and
- Preset types that you can choose.
- Figure 2, below, shows the Galaxy effect dialog box.
Figure 2: Galaxy effect dialog box
- This effect generates a galaxy by rendering a 3D image behind the scenes. You can create a spiral, elliptical, or barred galaxy. Orientation and viewing distance controls to give the galaxy a true 3D appearance. Click OK when you are ready to apply the effect.
|Photoshop Versions:||PhotoShop 4.0 and higher versions|
|Price:||$24.95 (Standalone) and $39.95 (Plug-in)|