You can create a new Sway or
import existing files into Sway. Whatever option you choose, you customize your Sways
thereafter in the same way. There are many options that enable you to do so but in this tutorial we'll explore the Insert options that
Make sure you first sign into your Sway account. Thereafter open an existing Sway or create a new Sway --
we choose and opened an existing Sway. Then follow these steps:
- With your Sway open, click the Insert option within the Menu bar, as shown highlighted in
red within Figure 1.
Figure 1: Insert option
- This will show several insert options within the pane on the left side, as shown highlighted in red within
Figure 2. Also notice that these are options that Sway intelligently suggests, as can be seen from the Suggested
option visible on the top left of this pane (highlighted in blue within Figure 2). Do notice that
there's also a downward pointing arrow next to the option labeled Suggested -- this indicates that this is a drop-down list. We will explore this
drop-down list and other interface options later within this tutorial.
Figure 3 below shows a more zoomed in view of the areas within the pane of left side, which we will explore next.
Figure 2: Pane with various insert options
Figure 3: Sway suggestion based on the content
Options within this pane are explained below, as marked in Figure 3, above.
- Suggested: Click the downward pointing arrow to bring up the drop-down list, as shown in Figure 4. This list
has all the source sites from where you can get content and insert into your Sway. Choose the source from the list.
Figure 4: Suggested drop-down list
Within the Suggested drop-down list, you will find some source options for which you are required to sign in. These include
services such as OneDrive
, OneNote, Facebook, and Flickr. If the source site in not included
within the list Sway has provided, you can sent a request to add the source site by clicking the Add Source
option. Or use the
option to add content.
- Search Sources: Once the source is selected, insert the keyword(s) you want to search for. In
Figure 5 below you can see that we chose Bing as the source and then entered "Halloween" as a keyword (highlighted in
red within Figure 5).
Figure 5: Bing search result
- Result: You will see the results based on the source you have selected and keyword(s) you have typed.
Before opting to insert any search result, make sure you see the copyright licenses. Click the link highlighted in
red within Figure 3, shown earlier on this page to read more about the copyright.
- Once you have decided to insert a resulting file into your Sway, click on it. For this tutorial we selected the image on the top left of the
results, indicated by the tick mark, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 6. Then click the
Add button, shown highlighted in blue within Figure 6.
Figure 6: Add selected file
You can also add the selected item by dragging and dropping it onto the Card.
- In Figure 7, below you can see that the selected image is added within the Card area.
Figure 7: Selected image added
PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences:
PowerPoint 2016, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2007 and 2003 for Windows
PowerPoint 2016 and 2011 for Mac
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado?
Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences ebook.