Embedding PowerPoint from SkyDrive on your Blog or Web Site
By: Geetesh Bajaj
Date Created: October 4th 2010
Last Updated: October 4th 2010
Excerpt / Capsule: Learn how you can upload your PowerPoint presentations to Microsoft's free SkyDrive options, and then share the PowerPoint with everyone on your blog or web site.
It used to be that when you needed to embed a PowerPoint presentation on your site, you had to upload the PowerPoint file to a site like SlideShare, authorSTREAM, or SlideBoom and then use their embed code to show up a Flash file in your blog or web site. Then came along iPhone and iPad from Apple that did not like Flash too much, and several online media sites such as authorSTREAM and YouTube created iPad friendly output that did not use Flash. However, Microsoft has added new abilities to its SkyDrive hosted PowerPoint Web Application that makes these problems a thing of the past -- you can now create embeds of the original PowerPoint files with no conversions required to Flash or any other format. Change your source PowerPoint file and the embeds update instantly too!
So how does this work? Good question, and follow these steps to learn more:
- First of all create a new PowerPoint file using PowerPoint 2007 or 2010 (for Windows) or 2008 or 2011 (for Mac) -- this step is optional because you can also create a presentation file online on SkyDrive -- but it makes things easier to have a file ready. Make sure you save it to the PPTX file format (see Figure 1) -- and not the older PPT format.
Figure 1: Make sure you save to the PPTX file format
- Now log in to SkyDrive -- if you have a Live ID or a Hotmail account, you can use that to sign in -- alternatively, you can register, which is a simple affair. Figure 2 shows me signed in to my SkyDrive account.
Figure 2: Signed into my SkyDrive account
- To share your presentations as embeds, you need a folder that is designated Public -- it's a good idea to create a new folder for all the presentations you want to share. To do that, click the New button to bring up a menu. Click the Folder option as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Create a new folder on SkyDrive
- Give a name to the new folder (I called mine Shared PowerPoints), and click the Change link as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: Name your folder something descriptive enough
- You'll see a "Share with" slider. Drag the slider all the way up to Everyone (public) as shown in Figure 5. Then just click Next.
Figure 5: Share with everyone if you want to embed!
- You'll see the interface shown in Figure 6. Click the Add files link to bring up the screen you see in Figure 7.
Figure 6: An empty space to upload your PowerPoints
Figure 7: Ready to upload your files?
- Click the Select documents from your computer link. This brings up a File open dialog (see Figure 8). Navigate to where you have saved your PPTX file, select it, and click Open to get back to SkyDrive.
Figure 8: Choose a file to upload
- SkyDrive will now upload your PPTX file. When done, you'll see the interface shown in Figure 9. Click the button called Continue.
Figure 9: File uploaded
- This gets you to the view which shows all files uploaded to this particular folder. Hover over the file just uploaded to see options that you can see in Figure 10. Choose the More | Share | Embed option.
Figure 10: Opt to embed your file
- You'll find the embed code for your presentation (see Figure 11) -- copy and paste it in your blog post or web site! Towards the right, you'll also see an embedded version of your presentation so that you can test it. In fact, we copied the embede code and placed it right under Figure 11 for you to take a look!
Figure 11: Get your embed code and test the file too