Creating Custom Slide Shows in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Learn how to create custom slide shows in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2011
OS: Mac OS X
Has it ever happened that you wanted to include just a few slides in your slide show rather than displaying the entire presentation? Then you need not delete the slides that need not be shown -- nor do you need to create a whole new presentation containing only the slides to be shown. All you need to do is to create a Custom Slide Show! So, what's a custom slide show? Think of your individual slides as songs within a playlist -- using the playlist analogy, your custom slide show is a playlist of those songs -- you just substitute songs for slides! Even better, since this is like a playlist, you do not have to delete the slides that are not used. And there's more -- you can create any number of playlists, errrr custom slide shows!
Follow these steps to learn how to create a Custom Slide Show in PowerPoint 2011:
- Open the presentation in which you wish to create a Custom Slide Show.
- Access the Slide Show tab on the
Ribbon, as shown highlighted in
red within Figure 1 and click the Custom Shows button (shown highlighted in
blue within Figure 1). This brings up a drop-down menu -- within this drop-down
menu, click the Edit Custom Shows option, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Edit Custom Shows option
- This brings up the Custom Shows dialog box, as shown in Figure 2.
Note that the area on the left, highlighted in blue is completely blank --
that's because this particular presentation contains no custom slide show yet. Within this dialog box, now
click the New button, shown highlighted in red within
Figure 2: Custom Shows dialog box
- This will open the Define Custom Show dialog box, as shown in
Figure 3: Define Custom Show dialog box
All the options within the Define Custom Show dialog box are explained below, as marked in Figure 3, above:
- Slide show name: Here you can provide name for your Custom Slide Show. By default
PowerPoint may just call this Custom Show 1, but you can type in a new, more descriptive
- Slides in presentation: Shows a list of slides within the current presentation. To
select slide(s), click the slide name. To select multiple slides, select the first slide, and then press the Shift
or Command key to select more slides.
- Add: This button adds the selected slides from the
Slides in presentation area to the Slides in custom show area. Note that unless you select some
slides within the Slides in presentation area, the Add button stays greyed out. Do note that you
can also add the same slide more than once.
- Remove: This button removes selected slides from the Slides in custom show area. Note that
unless you select a slide within the Slides in custom show area, the Remove button stays
- Slides in custom show: Once you add the slides, this area shows the list of slides within the current custom
show. Figure 4, below shows four slides added within Slides in custom show list (highlighted in
Figure 4: Slides added within Slides in custom show list
- Re-order: The Up and
Down buttons (highlighted in blue within
Figure 4, above) are active only when there are slides added within
Slides in custom show list. Use the Up and Down buttons
to re-order the sequence of the selected slide(s).
- Slide show name: Here you can provide name for your Custom Slide Show. By default PowerPoint may just call this Custom Show 1, but you can type in a new, more descriptive name.
- This brings you back to the Custom Shows dialog box, as shown in Figure 5. The custom show
created can be seen within this dialog box (compare with the similar dialog box in Figure 2, shown earlier on
Figure 5: Custom Shows dialog box with the custom show listed
To preview the custom show, select it from the list and click the Show button, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 5 above.
- Within the Custom Shows dialog box, you will find few other buttons also (see Figure 5).
- New: Creates new custom shows.
- Edit: Used to edit a selected custom show.
- Remove: Deletes an existing, selected custom show.
- Copy: Used to create a duplicated copy of the selected custom show. This option is very
useful if you want to create similar custom shows where only a few slides differ.
- New: Creates new custom shows.
- Once you are happy with your custom show, click the Close button, highlighted in
blue within Figure 5, above.
- To play your custom show in PowerPoint, explore our Playing Custom Shows in PowerPoint 2011 tutorial.
If you liked this tutorial, do look at this book, authored by Geetesh Bajaj and James Gordon.
This book is the single most comprehensive content for Microsoft's latest Office suite offering for Mac users.
Check the book on Amazon.com...