Bing Images Search by Type
Learn how to search images in Bing using the built in Type filters.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
August 21st 2013
August 21st 2013
For almost every search term that you input on Bing's Image Search, you get results with tons of pictures scoured from every nook and corner of the internet. With so many choices, finding that perfect picture can become a challenge -- especially when you need a picture that's more akin to an illustration rather than a camera-clicked photograph. Similarly you may want to explore pictures that look like clipart. So in this tutorial, we will explore Bing's Type filter that lets you narrow down your search results to yield exactly the "type" of pictures you need.
Follow these steps to proceed:
- Visit the Bing Image Search site and search for "Animals".
Figure 1, below shows normal search results for this term on
Bing Image Search -- we used
Bing's US site
for this tutorial.
Figure 1: Search results for Animals
Note: Bing's Image Search page changes every day -- and the screenshots and techniques on this page are current at the time of writing. Even if there are some changes, basic concepts explained on this page should be the same.
- Now click on the Type filter, as shown highlighted in
red in Figure 1, above. This
brings up the menu that you can see in Figure 2, below.
Figure 2: Bing Images Search by Type Filters
Let us now explore the options within this menu. As you can see in Figure 2, above -- you can use four filters to refine your search results:
- All: This is the default option set by Bing, It provides all results available for the search input (see Figure 1).
- Photograph: This filter returns results that display photographed pictures -- this is the most common result that you will see for almost all search terms.
- Clipart: Displays clipart-type pictures for your search term
(see Figure 3).Note that none of these look like photographs -- these
are all multi-colored and may also included areas in which colors are shaded.
Figure 3: Search results of animal pictures available as clipart
- Line drawing: Brings up results that look hand drawn, as shown in
Figure 4: Search results of animal pictures available as line drawings
- Do note that you can also combine Bing's Image Search filters -- maybe you want line drawings of animals that are available in a particular size.
Remember though that all pictures you find may not be suitable for use in your presentation slides or other projects -- learn how you can find pictures that are allowed to be used in our Bing Image Search by License tutorial.
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.