Insert Sound in PowerPoint 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 for Windows
Learn how to insert Sound in PowerPoint 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003
OS: Windows Vista / XP
Date Created: February 6th 2007
Last Updated: February 26th 2009
There are many ways to bring in sounds in PowerPoint -- event sounds, transition sounds, and as I am going to show you now: inserted sounds.
Follow these steps to insert sound in PowerPoint:
- In PowerPoint, navigate to the slide where you want the sound to be inserted.
- Choose Insert | Movies and Sounds| Sound from File as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Choose a Sound to insert
- This will summon the Insert Sound dialog box that you can see in Figure 2. Navigate and choose the sound file you want to insert, and then click the OK button.
Figure 2: Insert Sound
Remember that PowerPoint only allows you to insert a limited range of sound file types such as WAV, MP3, WMA, MIDI, AIFF, etc. If you need to insert a sound in another format, you'll have to convert it to a format that PowerPoint accepts.
- This get you back to your slide -- PowerPoint prompts you with a dialog box as shown in Figure 3 asking whether the sound to play Automatically or When Clicked in the slide show.
Figure 3: Placed sound on a slide
If you choose Automatically, PowerPoint will play the sound the instant that the slide containing the sound is shown in slide show view.
If you choose When Clicked, the presenter will have to click on the sound icon that PowerPoint places on the slide to play the sound.
- Whichever option you choose (as explained above), PowerPoint will place a sound icon on the center of the slide. You can right-click this sound icon, which displays the menu shown in Figure 4. To look at more advanced options, choose Edit Sound Object.
Figure 4: Edit Sound Object
- This opens the Sound Options dialog box as shown in Figure 5, which allows to change the sound volume, make the sound loop, hide the sound icon during slide show, etc. You'll also be able to find out how long the sound plays, and the path to the the sound file.
Figure 5: Sound Options
- After making changes, click OK to apply the changes.
Insert Audio (Sound) in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Insert Audio (Sound) in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Insert Audio (Sound) in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows
Insert Audio (Sound) in PowerPoint 2007 for Windows
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.