Standard Toolbar in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Learn about the Standard Toolbar in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2011
OS: Mac OS X
PowerPoint 2011 now sports the Ribbon interface but it still continues
having menus and toolbars. Among the most important of the toolbars is the
Standard Toolbar that is located beneath the menu bar, as shown highlighted
in red in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Standard Toolbar in PowerPoint 2011
If you can't find the Standard Toolbar within the PowerPoint 2011 interface, select the View | Toolbars | Standard menu option as shown in Figure 2 to make it visible. Conversely, deselecting the same menu option will hide the Standard Toolbar.
Figure 2: Standard Toolbar option in View menu
Now let us explore the options within the Standard Toolbar, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Standard Toolbar options
The icons and controls seen on the Standard Toolbar are explained below (please note that the window controls such as the title bar and show/hide buttons are not part of Standard Toolbar since they show up even if you hide this toolbar):
- Window Controls: The upper-left corner of each window contains the standard
Close button (red), the Minimize button (yellow), and the Maximize button
- Title: The title is the filename associated with the window.
- Show / Hide button: This button toggles the visibility of the toolbars between on and off. If you accidentally click this button and hide the toolbars, just click it again to restore them.
- New, Templates, Open, and Save: You can find these 4 icons to the extreme left of the Standard Toolbar. These icons allow you to (starting from the left) create new files, display the PowerPoint Document Gallery, open files in the Finder, and to save your files.
- Print: This icon allows you to take hard copy of some or all of your contents.
- Cut, Copy, Paste, and Format Painter: The next 4 icons are Cut, Copy, Paste,
and Format Painter. The first three icons are used to cut, copy, and paste
your content. Format Painter is the fourth icon in this group, and is used
to copy the format of any selected content and to apply it to some other
- Undo and Redo: The Undo option is used to go a step back in your work
process (as in returning to the state of your presentation a click ago). The
Redo icon is used to repeat the action which you just cancelled using Undo.
- Toolbox: Use this icon to show or hide the Toolbox.
- Media: This icon is used to show / hide the Media Browser window.
- Reduce or Enlarge the Display of the Presentation: This selection box allows
you to change the display size of the presentation slides.
Just click the downward arrow and select the value in percentage (see Figure
4) within the drop-down list to change the display size of the
Figure 4: Presentation slide size drop-down list
- Help: Use this button to get help about PowerPoint 2011.
- Search: If you want to search for something in the presentation, use the search window that you can see on the extreme right of the Standard Toolbar, below the show/hide button.
If you liked this tutorial, do look at this book, authored by Geetesh Bajaj and James Gordon.
This book is the single most comprehensive content for Microsoft's latest Office suite offering for Mac users.
Check the book on Amazon.com...