PowerPoint 2011 now sports the Ribbon interface
but it still continues having menus and toolbars. Among the most important of the toolbars is the Standard Toolbar
that is located beneath the menu bar, as shown highlighted in red in
Figure 1: Standard Toolbar in PowerPoint 2011
If you can't find the Standard Toolbar within the
PowerPoint 2011 interface, select the View
| Toolbars | Standard menu option as shown in Figure 2 to make it visible. Conversely,
deselecting the same menu option will hide the Standard Toolbar.
Figure 2: Standard Toolbar option in View menu
Now let us explore the options within the Standard Toolbar, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Standard Toolbar options
The icons and controls seen on the Standard Toolbar are explained below (please note that the window
controls such as the title bar and show/hide buttons are not part of Standard Toolbar since they show up
even if you hide this toolbar):
- Window Controls: The upper-left corner of each window contains the standard Close
button (red), the Minimize button (yellow), and the Maximize button (green).
- Title: The title is the filename associated with the window.
- Show / Hide button: This button toggles the visibility of the toolbars between on and off. If you
accidentally click this button and hide the toolbars, just click it again to restore them.
New, Templates, Open, and Save: You can find these 4 icons to the extreme left of the Standard
These icons allow you to (starting from the left) create new files, display the PowerPoint Document Gallery, open files in
the Finder, and to save your files.
- Print: This icon allows you to take hard copy of some or all of your contents.
- Cut, Copy, Paste, and Format Painter: The next 4 icons are Cut, Copy, Paste, and
Format Painter. The
first three icons are used to cut, copy, and paste your content.
Format Painter is the fourth icon in this
group, and is used to copy the format of any selected content and to apply it to some other slide object.
- Undo and Redo: The Undo option is used to go a step back in your work process (as in
returning to the state of your presentation a click ago). The Redo icon is used to repeat the action which
you just cancelled using Undo.
- Toolbox: Use this icon to show or hide the
- Media: This icon is used to show / hide the
Media Browser window.
- Reduce or Enlarge the Display of the Presentation: This selection box allows you to change the display
size of the presentation slides. Just click the downward arrow and select the value in percentage (see Figure 4
) within the drop-down list to change the display size of the presentation slides.
Figure 4: Presentation slide size drop-down list
- Help: Use this button to get help about
- Search: If you want to search for something in the presentation, use the search window that you can see
on the extreme right of the Standard Toolbar, below the show/hide button.
PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences:
PowerPoint 2016, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2007 and 2003 for Windows
PowerPoint 2016 and 2011 for Mac
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado?
Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences ebook.