Slide Sorter View in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows
Learn about Slide Sorter view in PowerPoint 2010.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
OS: Windows 8 / 7 / Vista, and XP
As you are aware, PowerPoint 2010 provides a plethora of views to play and edit your presentation. Other than Normal view, you can choose Slide Sorter view for editing slides -- this view does not let you edit individual slide objects on your slide, but the whole slide by itself. Any edits you make influence one or more slides, depending upon your selection. Slide Sorter view displays thumbnail sized representations of all slides in your presentation (see Figure 1) -- this view works best when you have to select multiple slides. In this view, you can quickly reorder, delete, or duplicate your slides. In addition, this view also displays hidden slides.
Figure 1: Slide Sorter View
To access the Slide Sorter view, you can choose either of these options:
- Click the Slide Sorter button on the Status Bar (highlighted in red in Figure 1, above).
- Access the View tab on the Ribbon, locate the Presentation Views group and click the Slide Sorter button (highlighted in red in Figure 2).
Figure 2: Slide Sorter button within the Presentation Views group
Here are some guidelines for selecting slides in Slide Sorter view:
- To select a single slide, just click on the slide.
- To select a range of slides, hold down the left mouse button and drag across and over the slides like a marquee. Try to drag in a diagonal direction if you have more than one line of slides lined up.
- To select a contiguous range of slides, click the first slide, hold the Shift key on the keyboard and then click the last slide.
- To select multiple, noncontiguous slides, hold down the Ctrl key on you keyboard and then click the slide you want to select.
- To select all the slides in the presentation press Ctrl + A key.
- To select all but a few slides, first select all slides, and then Ctrl click on the slides you want to deselect.
Slide Sorter view works best when you have to select multiple slides (sequential or non sequential slides) and perform tasks such as:
- Organize and reorder the slides by dragging them into the proper sequence.
- Group slides into separate sections.
- Easily copy, paste, or delete slides.
- Duplicate slides.
- Hide and show selected slides.
- Control transition effects that play when the presentation advances from one slide to the next.
- Set and adjust the slide timing of these transitions.
To change the slide order:
- Select the slide(s) you want to reorder, and drag them to a position where you want to place them.
To insert a new slide within Slide Sorter view, choose any of these three approaches:
- Use the Ribbon:
- Place the cursor where you want to insert a new slide.
- Select the Home tab of the Ribbon, and locate the Slides group.
- Click the New Slide button.
- Place the cursor where you want to insert a new slide, right-click and from the resultant menu choose New Slide option.
- Place the cursor where you want to insert a new slide and press the Ctrl + M shortcut key combination.
To copy, paste, and delete slides in Slide Sorter view, follow these guidelines:
- Copy: Select the slide(s) and press Ctrl + C key,
or choose the Copy button within the Clipboard group of Home tab of the Ribbon.
- Paste: To paste copied slide(s), click at
the desired insertion point and then press Ctrl + V key, or choose the Paste button within the Clipboard group of Home tab of the Ribbon.
- Cut: Select the slide(s) and press Ctrl + X key, or choose the Cut button within the Clipboard group of Home tab of the Ribbon.
- Delete: To delete a slide (or slides), select and press the Delete key on your keyboard.
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.