Like many other tasks you do in PowerPoint, inserting a new slide can be done in multiple ways. You just need to find a way that works best for
you -- the following steps show you how you can do this simple task in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac.
- Launch PowerPoint 2011 -- typically, this brings up the PowerPoint Presentation Gallery -- here you can
just click the Cancel button to create a blank, new presentation containing one slide as shown in Figure 1.
On the other hand, if you are not presented with the PowerPoint Presentation Gallery, you will still end up with a blank, new presentation containing
one slide as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: PowerPoint 2011 interface with blank presentation
- To add more new slides (in a new or existing presentation), locate the Home tab of the
Ribbon. Within the Slides group, click the New
Slide button, as shown in Figure 2. This will insert a new slide after the active slide.
Figure 2: New Slide button
You can also click the down-arrow next the New Slide button to summon the Layout gallery as shown in Figure
3. Then click any of the layouts available to insert a new slide using the chosen layout. This way you can continue adding more slides.
Figure 3: Layout gallery
- Whichever way you choose, you end up inserting new slides (see the
Slides Pane on the left in Figure 4).
Figure 4: New slides inserted to the presentation
- You can also insert new slides while you are in the Slides Pane. Right-click the empty area (or the empty area between two slides) in the Slide
Pane to bring up the context menu as shown in Figure 5. From the context menu, choose the New Slide option to
insert a new slide.
Figure 5: New Slide option
- Thereafter, you can add titles, text, pictures, or any other slide objects within the new slides you just created.
Tip: Shift+Command+N keys, pressed together also inserts a new slide. So does the
Insert | New Slide menu option.
Inserting a New Slide in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Inserting a New Slide in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Inserting a New Slide in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows
Inserting a New Slide in PowerPoint 2007 for Windows
Inserting a New Slide in PowerPoint 2002 and 2003 for Windows
PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences:
PowerPoint 2016, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2007 and 2003 for Windows
PowerPoint 2016 and 2011 for Mac
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado?
Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences ebook.