The PowerPoint 2016 interface includes the
Ribbon, which is tabbed -- each of these tabs contains a set of
commands. By default, PowerPoint contains eight such tabs, as shown highlighted in red within
Figure 1, below.
Figure 1: Default Ribbon tabs with PowerPoint 2016 interface
These eight Ribbon tabs can be customized -- and you can indeed
add a new Ribbon tab as well. In fact, you may have more
than these eight tabs in your PowerPoint 2016 interface due
to several reasons:
- You may have turned on the Developer tab -- this tab is
not displayed by default.
- You may have installed some PowerPoint add-ins -- these may show in an Add-Ins tab.
- You many have installed a PowerPoint add-in that created its own Ribbon tab.
- You may have selected a slide object that brings up a contextual tab. For example, you see three extra Ribbon tabs when you select a chart on
- You may have created your own custom Ribbon tab.
All tabs can be reordered as required. However, the eight default Ribbon tabs that you see in Figure 1 can only be reordered or hidden, but not removed. Also the Developer tab cannot be removed although it can also be hidden. Follow these steps to explore more:
You first need to bring up the PowerPoint Options dialog box -- there are two ways to access these options. The easier way is to
right-click anywhere on the Ribbon, and choose the Customize the Ribbon option, as shown highlighted in
red with Figure 2.
Figure 2: Customize the Ribbon option
Alternatively, choose the File menu to bring up
Backstage view, as shown in Figure 3. Now,
select Options (highlighted in blue within Figure 3).
Figure 3: Options within File menu
- Either way, this opens the PowerPoint Options dialog box, as shown in Figure 4. Make sure you choose the
Customize Ribbon option within the sidebar. This shows the relevant options on the right side of the
PowerPoint Options dialog box (see Figure 4 again). Note that we
added new Ribbon tab (highlighted in
red within Figure 4, above -- also visible in Figure 2).
Figure 4: PowerPoint Options dialog box
- Select the tab which you want to reorder within the PowerPoint Options dialog box (we selected our custom tab, as shown
highlighted in red within Figure 5). Then click the Move Up (to move the selected
tab upwards) or Move Down (to move the selected tab downwards) buttons, as shown highlighted in blue
within Figure 5.
Figure 5: Select and reorder the Ribbon tab
- In Figure 6, below you can see that the Indezine (Custom) tab is moved down to the 7th position from its
original 2nd position.
Figure 6: Ribbon tab moved down
- Figure 7, below shows the reordered Ribbon tab is now placed after the Slide Show Ribbon tab, as 7th tab. Similarly,
you can reorder any of the Ribbon tabs.
Figure 7: Ribbon tab reordered
- To remove a custom tab, just select and right-click it to bring up a contextual menu, as shown in Figure 8, below. Then
select the Remove option, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 8.
Figure 8: Remove the selected tab
Note: The right-click menu also contains the Move Up and Move Down options, as shown
highlighted in blue within Figure 8.
- When done, click the OK button within the PowerPoint Options dialog box to get back to
PowerPoint 2016 interface.
Reordering and Removing Ribbon Tabs in
PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Reordering and Removing Ribbon Tabs in
PowerPoint 2010 for Windows
Working with the Ribbon in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences:
PowerPoint 2016, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2007 and 2003 for Windows
PowerPoint 2016 and 2011 for Mac
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado?
Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences ebook.