If you want to really benefit from customizing your Ribbon in PowerPoint 2016, then
you'll certainly want to add some commands that are not placed by default within any of the Ribbon tabs. Or maybe you want a particular command
available on the Home tab of the Ribbon. Whatever your intent may be, you cannot place any commands within the existing groups that are built
within PowerPoint. You first need to add a custom group within
any of the tabs available in the Ribbon. Thereafter, you need to populate them with commands.
Follow these steps to learn how to add commands to custom groups:
- You first need to bring up the PowerPoint Options dialog box -- there are several ways to access these options. The easier way
is to right-click anywhere on the Ribbon, and then to choose the Customize the Ribbon option from the resultant menu, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1.
Figure 1: Customize the Ribbon option
Alternatively, access the File menu and choose Options (highlighted in blue within
Figure 2: Options within File menu
- Either way, this opens the PowerPoint Options dialog box, as shown in Figure 3. Make sure you choose the
Customize Ribbon option within the sidebar. This shows the relevant options on the right side of the
PowerPoint Options dialog box (see Figure 3 again).
Figure 3: PowerPoint Options dialog box
Now choose the custom Ribbon tab you have already added. This
should contains a new custom Group (highlighted in red within Figure 4, below). As
you can see, our custom group is bereft of any commands.
- To add commands within this custom group, make sure you select the custom group first, as shown highlighted in
red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Custom group selected
- Next, choose any of the commands you want to add from within the Choose commands from list (shown highlighted in
blue within Figure 4, above). Once you select the command, just click the Add button
(highlighted in green within Figure 4, above).
In Figure 4
above, you can see that we chose the Popular Commands
category within in the
Choose commands from
list. You can click the down-arrow within the commands selection area to bring up the Choose commands from
drop-down list to find out more command categories, as shown in Figure 5
List of other command categories
- This will add the selected command within the custom group, as shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Command added within custom group
- Similarly, continue adding more commands. Figure 7 below shows more commands added to the custom group.
Figure 7: More commands added within custom group
- When done, click the OK button within the PowerPoint Options dialog box to get back to
PowerPoint interface. Figure 8, below
shows all the new commands added within the custom group.
Figure 8: Command within custom group
See Also: Adding Commands to Custom
Groups in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences:
PowerPoint 2016, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2007 and 2003 for Windows
PowerPoint 2016 and 2011 for Mac
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado?
Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences ebook.