Removing Sections in PowerPoint 2013
Learn how to remove Sections in PowerPoint 2013.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2013
OS: Windows 7 and 8
If you want to logically categorize your presentation slides so that they can be easily managed, then you should use the Sections option. You are not just limited to adding and renaming Sections -- you can also move slides from one Section to another, or change the order of Sections, or collapse / expand Sections etc. Other than these activities, you can also remove a Section, as explained in the steps below:
- Open your presentation in PowerPoint 2013 within
which you have already
added Sections. Change
to Slide Sorter view, as shown
in Figure 1 so that you can easily access the Sections in your presentation.
Figure 1: Presentation opened within the Slide Sorter view
- Right-click on the name of the Section to be removed -- in Figure 2 you can see that we have
chosen the Section named 'Text' for removal. Within the contextual menu that appears, you will find three
options for removing the Section, as marked in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Options to remove the selected Section
Note: Did you find the Remove Section option greyed out as shown highlighted in red within Figure 3 below? This is possible if you have selected the first Section in the presentation, especially if there are more Sections after the first Section.
Figure 3: Remove Section option greyed out
However, if there is only one Section in the presentation, then the Remove Section option will be available within the first and only Section of your presentation, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Remove Section option not greyed out
Let us explore all three options for removing the Section, as marked in Figure 2, shown earlier on this page:
- Remove Section: This option removes the selected Section -- its content slides will be added
to the Section above the removed Section, as shown in Figure 5 (compare with Figure 1, earlier on this page).
Figure 5: Result of selecting Remove Section option
- Remove Section and Slides: This option removes the selected Section along with all the
slides contained within, as shown in Figure 6. Yes, everything will be deleted -- so do be
Figure 6: Result of selecting Remove Section and Slides option
- Remove All Sections: This option removes not only the selected Section, but all sections in
the presentation, resulting in only slides with no Sections, as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7: Result of selecting Remove All Sections option
- Remove Section: This option removes the selected Section -- its content slides will be added to the Section above the removed Section, as shown in Figure 5 (compare with Figure 1, earlier on this page).
- Select any option to remove Section(s) as required.
- Save your presentation often.
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.