Removing Sections in PowerPoint 2010
Learn how to remove Sections in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
OS: Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8
March 5, 2015
Sections in PowerPoint not only help you easily manage your presentation slides, but there's so much more you can achieve using them. You can add and name Sections, move slides from one Section to another etc. And, at any point of time after creating a Section, you can also remove it -- or also remove a Section along with its content slides. You can also remove Sections altogether in a presentation. However, there are some issues that you should be aware of, and these are explained within the steps below:
- Open your presentation in PowerPoint 2010, within which you have
already added Sections. Change to
Slide Sorter view, as shown in
Figure 1 so that you can easily access the Sections in your presentation.
Figure 1: Presentation opened within the Slide Sorter view
- Right-click on the name of the Section to be removed -- in Figure 2 you can see that we have chosen the Section
named 'How to Use' for removing. Within the contextual menu that appears, you will find three options for removing the Section, as
marked in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Options to remove the selected Section
Note: Did you find that the Remove Section option was greyed out for you, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 3 below? This is possible if you have selected the first Section within the presentation, especially when there are more Sections thereafter in the presentation.
Figure 3: Remove Section option greyed out
However, if there is only one Section in the presentation, then the Remove Section option will be available within the first and only Section of your presentation, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Remove Section option not greyed out
Let us explore all three options for removing the section, as marked in Figure 2, shown earlier on this page:
- Remove Section: This option removes the selected Section. Its content slides will be added to the preceding
Section, as shown in Figure 5 (compare with Figure 1, earlier on this page).
Figure 5: Result of selecting Remove Section option
- Remove Section & Slides: This option removes the selected Section along with all the slides contained
within, as shown in Figure 6. Since everything will be deleted in the selected Section, be careful!
Figure 6: Result of selecting Remove Section and Slides option
- Remove All Sections: This option removes not only the selected Section, but all Sections in the presentation,
resulting in only slides with no Sections, as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7: Result of selecting Remove All Sections option
- Remove Section: This option removes the selected Section. Its content slides will be added to the preceding Section, as shown in Figure 5 (compare with Figure 1, earlier on this page).
- Select any option to remove Section(s) as required.
- Save your presentation often.
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.