Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2011
OS: Mac OS X
Date Created: June 1st 2012
Last Updated: June 1st 2012
Excerpt/Capsule: Learn about different slide background styles available in PowerPoint 2011.
Launch PowerPoint to create a new presentation, and you may typically see a single slide with a white background. Alternatively, if you open any of your existing presentations, the background of your slides may be in a different color depending upon the Theme that the presentation is based upon. You can always change this slide background to a picture, a solid color, a pattern, or even a gradient. However, considering all those options, explore the twelve background styles that PowerPoint offers for every presentation by default. These styles are all coordinated and also designed to work well as a set of complementary backgrounds. You can change your presentation slides to follow any of these background styles by following the steps explained below:
- Create a new presentation or open an existing presentation. Figure 1 shows our sample presentation opened in Slide Sorter view.
Figure 1: Presentation in Slide Sorter view
- Now, you can explore the slide background options. To do that, select
the Themes tab
of the Ribbon -- within this tab, locate the Theme Options group which includes the Background button that you can
see highlighted in red, within Figure 2.
Figure 2: Background button within the Themes tab
- Click the Background button to open the Background drop-down gallery that you can see in Figure
3 with 12
default slide background styles (highlighted in red).
Figure 3: Background drop-down gallery
Note: These 12 default styles change when you apply a different Theme to your presentation. Also, do you see the Format Background and Hide Background Graphics options below the default background styles? These will be explained in a subsequent tutorial.
- Among these twelve slide background styles, select any style of your choice by clicking on it. In Figure 4 you can see Style 11 is selected.
Figure 4: Style 11 chosen for the slide background
- This applies the selected Background Style to the entire presentation, as shown in Figure 5. Compare Figures 1 and 5.
Figure 5: Slide Background Style 11 applied to the open presentation
- Save your presentation.
Note: PowerPoint 2011 allows you to apply the selected Background Style to the entire presentation, not to the selected slides.
See Also: Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2010.
If you liked this tutorial, do look at this book, authored by Geetesh Bajaj and James Gordon . This book is the single most comprehensive content for Microsoft's latest Office suite offering for Mac users. Check the book on Amazon.com...